carrying/lifting device...what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carrying/lifting device...what is it?

Straight out of a barn, still uncleaned. I have seen this device before, but what exactly is it? What was it used for?

Sorry for the very bad pics...taken late with mobile phone in too much artificial light.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Files

Seen similar for lifting bombs/artillery shells on wartime propaganda films. How large it is ?

Comment

Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
      Seen similar for lifting bombs/artillery shells on wartime propaganda films. How large it is ?
      exactly my thought…..I thought for mines or similar. Size......pls look on pic1, I put a lighter next to it, so you can see how big it is.

Comment

One more option is posible ; it could be also railway tracks lifter ( for example used while bulding some obstacles ) or for carrying hot steel in steelworks ( similar things are used, even nowdays, in many professions - ofter in construction ).

All depends from context where it was found and if near by are some railways or factories or were some field airfields.

Comment

By the way; would be very appricciated if you could answer for my PM and email.

Comment

Railway lifter…..it was found with other WH stuff. It will be something with Military context.

And I have seen yr mail, but Need to see what I have. Will answer then.

Comment

nobody else an idea????

Comment

Hi Bergler,

Tough one indeed. The tips of the jaw are a very specific shape so I would say a special lifter, however, it is sized for the human hand and looks to be one hand at that. So with that in mind something you don't want to touch but capable of being picked up by one man and potentially one handed so not overly heavy.

I can see what folks mean by railway shifter as they are indeed similar. The rail shifters i've seen are a different jaw and very long handles. Track is damned heavy and in those days lots of manpower needed. Think of one guy on each handle both sides of the track and more spread along the length

Lots of shells around but ones like that tend to have an open ring screwed into the fuze pocket on delivery and are lifted by hook.

The above is no help at all in identification but food for thought.

Regards

Tim

Comment

Find attached one period track lifter, the jaw is a specific shape on yours. If it was meant to be hung of a crane the top rings would be round to centre the load.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X