98K Bayonet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98K Bayonet Question

I have a question about this particular 98k bayonet with wooden grips that I have had since the mid-1980s.

Is this a late WW1 or WW2 German 98k bayonet or something completely different?

The wooden grips are held on with screws with hex nuts that I have not ran across before. It seems pretty rough in construction and finish. In addition the catch is recessed and seems smaller in dimensions (i.e. thinner in thickness) than the standard 98k catch.

I have not located a single marking on it.

The scabbard seems also narrower than the standard 98k bayonet scabbard.

I have included some comparison pictures to another 98k with wooden grips that I have in my collection.

Best Regards,

Ben
    Attached Files

It is difficult to tell from the photo but the scabbard is slightly narrower than the other 98k bayonet.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ben
    Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps it is a non-German bayonet? The frog stud on the scabbard is very atypical for German issue.
      Kerry.

Comment

It could be spanish M43 or german export piece to Spain post 1936. b.r.Andy

Comment

On closer examination, what I took to be a frog stud is in fact the remains of a brazed area for a missing stud, sorry, please ignore! However the position of the screw holding the insert into the scabbard throat is unusual
          Kerry.

Comment

The hex nuts are wrong here, should be dissasemble the grips, as there is under it the difference between spanish M43 and german export S84/98,which was made one piece with handle. The scabbard looks like typical M43 with mouth screw replaced here with rivet? b.r.Andy

Comment

By width of blade 25mm there is more real is german production as M43 is more narrower 23/4mm and the blade is thinner.Any small markings on blade spine areas?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments.

There does not appear to be any markings anywhere on it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Possible german M36 export to Spain, in version wout barell ring, there was never flashguard in handle, the nuts of screws were replaced by someone, scabbard is mostly a M43 version with front rivet/screw when not side hole for mouth area screw. Blade looks like a large, 25mm width one piece with handle, in crosspiece are rivets. Locking nut in pommel is probably replacement as not one surface with pommel. b.r.Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X