For respirator collectors perhaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For respirator collectors perhaps?

Hi guys, not my bag as it were so sorry if they are post war or something.

Couple of respirator canisters up for sale (not mine) standard style container with a handle on the back of it and an adjustable perforated lid for sprinkling decontamination powder around.

I personally have never seen one before so if they are authentic kit can one of the subject matter experts out their give us all an update for educational purposes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-WWII-O...cAAOSwF5Vb9-PR
    Attached Files

Never seen a cannister being converted to a Entgiftungsbüchse, nice one !

Here mine (the official one)

Tom
    www.mp44.nl

Comment

Hi tom,

Like I said, not my sphere of collecting so if it rings your bells and is authentic feel free.

Don't think they are conversions as such as the base appears to have pressed flats to accommodate the handle. Must have been done at the factory with a mandrel otherwise the canister would just be oval if done in the field. ( Correction, just had another look, must have been done in the field as the holes in the lid are very irregular, probably hammered trough with different nails from the inside )

Their are 2 canisters, 2 prices, so if you search you will find!! Both dated 1940 apparently.

What kind of powder was in the containers??

Regards

Tim
      Last edited by timg; 12-28-2018, 01:09 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post

What kind of powder was in the containers??
        This would be chlorine powder (bleach) as that is the product that counters mustard gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Goose View Post
          This would be chlorine powder (bleach) as that is the product that counters mustard gas.
          Hello Mr Goose,

Thanks for that, the powder I used in service was fullers earth so I was wondering what would have been used during WW2.

We did use bleaching powder for decontamination but that was for bulk large items like vehicles etc. Mind you the fullers earth was also available by the sack load so could also be used for large items and areas.

Was chlorine powder the only product they used?

Regards

Tim

Comment

Working...
          X