Reichsarbeitsdienst blanket (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reichsarbeitsdienst blanket (?)

I have recently purchased this blanket from a German seller. To me, the wool and construction look like that of a wartime barracks blanket, and not like that of a post-war civilian blanket, though I am no expert in postwar European blankets either. The blanket is marked "RAD" in large letters that are visible on both sides of the wool. The blanket also has a woven tag sewn on that indicates that the blanket was treated with Eulan, a moth prevention chemical made by Bayer that I believe was not used until the 1950s. Eulan could be applied to fabrics when they were made, or to completed items afterwards. Has anyone ever seen an original Reichsarbeitsdienst blanket, with or without these RAD markings? Or has anyone ever seen a period photograph of a RAD blanket? I wonder if it is possible to determine if this blanket is an original blanket that has been "Eulanisiert" in the 50s and has a tag added at this time? Or if the blanket itself dates from the postwar period? Perhaps the RAD marking is not for the Reichsarbeitsdienst at all? I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the vintage of this blanket.
    Attached Files

I know that most people in Germany have no middle names, but could these letters perhaps be someone's initials and not a RAD property mark?
    Attached Files

Comment

The thin, coarse wool makes me think this might be an original pre-1945 blanket with a tag added years later when the moth prevention chemical might have been applied, perhaps for use in air raid shelters or some civil defense purpose? Perhaps because of materials shortages 1950s blankets were not very thick either?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the tag which almost certainly is post war. It is sewn on a bit crooked.
        Attached Files

Comment

The chemical Eulan might be poisonous to people, and it has not been made by Bayer since 1988. Some cleaners in Germany used to treat items with this chemical, here is a carpet place that advertised that it would clean and treat rugs with Eulan. I would sincerely appreciate any thought or opinions about the blanket, thanks in advance.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello!
            100% good blanket! Labels like yours can be found on Wh blankets and mountain puttees. I found few good blankets, but only one had that label. Nice shot!
            "IG"mean something close to;"durning factory made"...

Last edited by Grubhy; 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it very much.

Comment

I also thought that label is post war when I found blanket few years ago in rags depot.

Comment

Robert is 100% correct. that marking is genuine. they are very hard to come by. I only saw one for sale in the last few years and it sold off way to fast. I was to late. it was on a standard Heer issue blanket with the red/blue stripe down the sides. grab that while you can if its what your looking for. nice find. Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the info Glenn. I was able to get this for just over 30 Euro! Of course the shipping was also 30 Euro... I am very happy with the blanket, I am going to roll it up and strap it to a pack on a late war combat mannequin. I already have one of the standard issue blankets and I wanted something a little different. The blankets in most of the wartime photos I see are not the ones with the blue and red stripes but appear to be a solid, darker color, perhaps gray. I heard a story about a GI vet who said that he used a blanket taken from a German soldier that was purple! And in the Hamburg Bunkermuseum in Germany they have three blankets that are said to be used by the Wehrmacht: one is blue, one is a blue gray, and one is almost olive in color, and none have stripes. They also have blankets used in air raid shelters that are very small and thin. With all the materials shortages the Germans faced in the war, it makes sense that many types of blankets would be used, including blankets from captured stocks and, probably, even blankets like the RAD one above that had been property of paramilitary organizations before the war- just as gray RAD and HJ Zeltbahnen can be seen mixed with splinter ones in period photos.

Comment

definitely Chris. a blanket's a blanket. like everything later in the war, you just took whatever they/you could find. I have a nice red/blue stripe blanket that is without a doubt the real deal. I will try to post some pics of it in the next few days. unfortunately mine was definitely issued for some time and any markings that were on it are long gone except a marker type writing. I think it is initials but really cant say as it is beyond recognition and very little left of it. Glenn

Comment

Bringing this old thread up to the top- found this image today of Heer soldiers, one of them is using the same type of RAD marked gray blanket!
                        Attached Files

Comment

BTW "IG FARBEN" ist pre may`45 !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Farben

Comment

I had done some research that indicated that the mothproofing chemical Eulan was introduced in the 1950s by Bayer Leverkusen. Now I believe that this chemical was being used possibly as early as the 1930s. In any event I have since seen so many wartime era blankets with this tag, I am convinced these tags were used during the period.

Comment

IG is for Industrie Genommen,

Thanks for refreshing old topic and awsome photo!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X