Gas mask from 168. Artillerieregiment out of the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas mask from 168. Artillerieregiment out of the family

Very happy with my newest find. Came from the grandson of the Vet who was part of the 168. art. Rgt. and fought in 68. Infantry Division. On the occasion of his 90th birthday there was a newspaper article about him. He served two years in russia, later in Holland and france where he became a POW under the americans. Filed post number painted 2 times on the can and the masks snout. Love the red ebd mark on the strap.
    Attached Files

Acceptance stamp on filter says 03/1945. One month later he became a POW
    Attached Files

Comment

Ruhe in Frieden!
      Attached Files

Comment

Very cool find. I really enjoy items like this that have provenance and a link to the soldier. I enjoy them as much or more than a "high dollar" item with no history.
        Todd
        Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von F├╝rstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

Very nice can and history indeed, you must have a great collection of gasmasks. THanks for sharing.

Comment

Why do you think these nice cans are sometimes found in the house of a soldier? Something forgotten during leave at home?

JL
            Autopsy of a Battle, the War in Southern France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrhUoRdsAQ

Comment

Originally posted by lockheed nl View Post
              Very nice can and history indeed, you must have a great collection of gasmasks. THanks for sharing.
              Thank you. Collection is growing and growing but solid sets are harder to find these days....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                Why do you think these nice cans are sometimes found in the house of a soldier? Something forgotten during leave at home?

JL
                Jean-Loup that is a good question. I know you are deep into the history behind the equipment pieces and just showed a brutal KIA LW helmet with great reference.

In this case i can only say that i met the grandson of the Vet, telling me that his grandfather fought in ww2 in east and West and was captured 1945 by US troops.
                With the Vet's name i was able to get further informations via a local news paper article. The little informations in it came close to the Report of the grandson and matches with the Feldpostnummer. The can doesnt show much traces of wear. Maybe because he was part of the Stab? Wen wont know. But in another case i got a vet estate with all his papers and medals and with gas mask too although he was captured by us troops too. Maybe they could keep some items like gas mask, Canteen and mess kit?
                We all agree that a russian captured soldier would not have brought back equipment pieces...

Comment

Great set, too bad you couldn't find out more information. and too bad there was so much shame involved in the years after the war. Pretty sure this guy had some great stories to tell but most were probably not very eager to tell their children or grandchildren all too much about those times. At least he had a good long life, many of his fellow soldiers didn't have that luck.
                  Collector of Gas masks and related items. Now 300 different gas masks in the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Goose View Post
                    Great set, too bad you couldn't find out more information. and too bad there was so much shame involved in the years after the war. Pretty sure this guy had some great stories to tell but most were probably not very eager to tell their children or grandchildren all too much about those times. At least he had a good long life, many of his fellow soldiers didn't have that luck.
                    Correct. We will never know unfortunately.

Comment

Nice set. It looks like ebd was making rubberized cloth ending before they start making rubberized straps endings.
                      Still looking for LARGE SIZE M43 gabardine jacket and m43 gabardine cap ... maybe some day I will find it best regards Marcin

Comment

As we know German soldiers didnt wear these so much late in the war, and I highly doubt any soldier would have either wanted to keep a mask, or be allowed to keep a mask as a POW.
                        So my best guess would remain that these masks were forgotten (perhaps on purpose) during a visit home.

JL
                        Autopsy of a Battle, the War in Southern France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZrhUoRdsAQ

Comment

Hi Hagen

Very nice and very interesting gasmask. I like especially the strap with the ebd marking. Congrats

David

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                            As we know German soldiers didnt wear these so much late in the war, and I highly doubt any soldier would have either wanted to keep a mask, or be allowed to keep a mask as a POW.
                            So my best guess would remain that these masks were forgotten (perhaps on purpose) during a visit home.

JL
                            I can't imagine either that those masks were kept during captivity, they have no purpose at all. I used to do some metal detecting and examined several spots where groups of germans went into American captivity. At all of the spots a lot of gasmasks were a common find. Seeing that, I always assumed the gasmask was one of the first pieces of equipment the soldiers left or had to leave behind.

Cheers,
                            Marco
                            Searching Zeltbahn marked with R.B.Nr. 0/0350/0249 and Bakelite buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by knoffhoff View Post

I can't imagine either that those masks were kept during captivity, they have no purpose at all. I used to do some metal detecting and examined several spots where groups of germans went into American captivity. At all of the spots a lot of gasmasks were a common find. Seeing that, I always assumed the gasmask was one of the first pieces of equipment the soldiers left or had to leave behind.

Cheers,
                              Marco
                              Positive to hear other opinions. Thanks to all for sharing your acknowledge

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X