Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Web Y-Strap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Interesting Web Y-Strap

    A photo of a Brandenburger during the invasion of Leros from the book "Kos and Leros 1943" by Anthony Rogers I am reading.

    Doesn't look like a blue web Y-Strap (which I hoped it was) due to the details presented. So, what type?
    Attached Files
    Willi

    Preu├čens Gloria!

    sigpic

    Sapere aude

    #2
    Litzmannstadt - made from British webbing? See post 7: https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ured-materials

    Michael

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks Michael!
      Attached Files
      Willi

      Preu├čens Gloria!

      sigpic

      Sapere aude

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
        A photo of a Brandenburger during the invasion of Leros from the book "Kos and Leros 1943" by Anthony Rogers I am reading.

        Doesn't look like a blue web Y-Strap (which I hoped it was) due to the details presented. So, what type?
        As mentioned ; Wirtschaftsmat Liztmannstadt Y-straps, made from captured ( but also clearly german ) webbing.

        Comment


          #5
          Always wondering about these straps: do you know guys if these Liztman straps ALWAYS have a back strap made in web ? I mean I see a lot of them for sale with the back strap made from leather. What's the consensus about the back strap ? Web ? Leather is a post war replacement ? Thank you

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Fsoq View Post
            Always wondering about these straps: do you know guys if these Liztman straps ALWAYS have a back strap made in web ? I mean I see a lot of them for sale with the back strap made from leather. What's the consensus about the back strap ? Web ? Leather is a post war replacement ? Thank you
            Seen those in all variants; with leather straps, with german web straps, with british captured straps and hooks. If remember well the photos from Warsawa Uprising with Goliath is showing WL Y-straps with leather backstrap.

            Comment


              #7
              Thank you Marcin ! Never get the chance to find one by myself, untouched. So what you have written helps me.

              Comment


                #8
                in my opinion this straps left only ghetto factory with web back strap ,all the ones you see with leather back are restored from tornister use in post war years.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by HAF View Post
                  in my opinion this straps left only ghetto factory with web back strap ,all the ones you see with leather back are restored from tornister use in post war years.
                  So you live in Lodz or near Lodz to say so in such certainty ? I'm guessing you ARE NOT. How many of those straps you had in hands or in collection ? I guessing none or one .
                  As mentioned ; seen all sort of straps used as back straps as part of, untouched since war end, examples of WL -Y-strap found in Lodz area and near the Lodz.
                  As mentioned earlier ; those Y-straps had leather backstraps, german webbing straps with woven holes or embroided holes ( the most often found ), british webbing with friction buckle instead of holes and british hook insteasd of german hook.
                  Seen and had those Y-straps made from british, german, french/polish webbing.

                  Below you have a photos from Warsaw Uprising in 1944 ; as you can see the soldier near the goliath has a Wirtschaftsamt Litzmannstadt Y-straps with LEATHER BACKSTRAP ( backstraps is significantly darker than there reast - same as leather endings/reinforcments ).
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
                    How many of those straps you had in hands or in collection ?
                    yes since long time I dream to get a real set the two pairs i own i think are questionable as they are found in DE with web back strap of British origin as the rest

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by HAF View Post

                      yes since long time I dream to get a real set the two pairs i own i think are questionable as they are found in DE with web back strap of British origin as the rest
                      I had examples found in Poland, Czech Republic, Gerrnany and even in Croatia. I had around a 10 of them in diffrent condition, from diffrent webbing and from diffrent locations and seen far for more on auctions and in local collections.
                      That fact you have examples with web backstrap deoesn't mean that there were not examples with leather backstraps ( the period photos above proofs that they ever with leather backstrap as well as web ).

                      Comment

                      Users Viewing this Thread

                      Collapse

                      There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                      Working...
                      X