No announcement yet.

SS Norwegian Oakleak Karkovf Parka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The photo shows a standard oak parka. Nothing special. In a higher res version, one can see where it ends, just above at the edge of the arm of the guy with the Kharkov.

Also, the oak Kharkov-hosen appear to be made from rayon winteranzug cloth, not normal zelt fabric. Perhaps Mike can chime in on this.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kubel44 View Post
      For me it is really hard to determine.there is a break in a camouflage pattern just above the elbow of the soldier on the right. Does his leg go down at that point? is the piece of camouflage to the very left of the photo from someone else??
      Or is his left leg extending horizontally to the left with Oakleaf pants on??
      Nothing what you wrote makes sense...

Comment

Parka

Sorry Gran Sasso, I tried to explain what I am referring to the best I can. The more I look the more confusing the pic is.

Comment

Let me clarify. "I am on the fence". If I want to see a Oak Norwegian/Kharkov heavy winter parka...I see it. If I weigh possiblity against probability I see a heavily obscured image of a Oak reversible winter suit. I can see nothing definitive in this photo. Bottom of sleeve obscured. Bottom of jacket skirt obscured. Top of jacket and hood absent from photo. Entire side and front button closure....absent from photo.
          What I can see is an oak parka/jacket with a pocket flap in a position that could indicate either.
          Bottom of parka obscured but from that photo I cant say it's too long to be a reversible parka.
          Also visible is what "might be" the tied/knotted drawtape. Cant see the stitching for the tunnel...its obscured by his belt. I can see what "might be" a vertical stitching line just above his belt as it would be on a reversible winter suit. What is not visible is any indication of the lower section of a breast pocket...I would think there should just be the bottom section of breast pocket coming into view...on a Norwegian/Kharkov parka.
          Ultimately, whith no solid caption as to where and when other than "Its LAH" I can only speculate. So I will. Time Jan 1945. Place region around Budapest. Operation Konrad.
          Winter uniforms worn. Most common jackets i see in these photos..Grey Kharkov style parkas and Oak reversible winter suits. Those are the most typical of this operation. To a lesser extent Grey reversibles and even the Italian camo "Kharkov" parkas.
          Hopefully another photo/more photos from this sequence will come forward and shed might light .

Comment

Kharkov Parka

Very good overview and synapses on what we are looking at David T. Much appreciated. Thanks for submitting a very good and well thought out evaluation. You have summed up the subject matter nicely.

Comment

Most sources online say it's Kiev 1943, LAH. Again, nothing certain. But, I'd say this is reasonable.

Comment

If we really want to pixel count on such a low res image, then you can even see what appears to be a bit of the white side on the upper left of the photo, i.e. it unbuttoned and folded out

Comment

Usually several shots are taken of action like this as its a tank in action.
                  To find several shots from the sequence would shed more light on the subject.

Comment

I blew it up really big.
                    I see the white belt ;-(

Comment

I tried as well thinking the pocket flap size and shape might provide a clue...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
                        I tried as well thinking the pocket flap size and shape might provide a clue...
                        A well visible vertical stich line is enought to say with 100% that jacket is reversible winter jacket and NOT Kharkov/Charkow parka.

Comment

Hi,

Owen asked me to post those two screenshots taken from a colour movie showing German POWS at the end of the war.
                          One guy in the foreground seemed to be wearing an Italian camo parka.

See You

Vince
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great color footage of the Italian camo parka

Comment

Thanks fir posting for me V.

I noticed this parka in a sea of field grey a few days ago looking at footage.
                              I don’t think it’s been posted before.
                              As we all know Cammo parka pictures are hard to find and as it’s sort of in the wheel house of the op.
                              It’s worth noting the actual size of the parka
                              The wearer is either tiny or the parka is a size 3.
                              You can see the pocket flap clearly.
                              I can’t make out if the wearer is WH or SS but his m-43 appears a different shade from the others.
                              Oh well

Comment

Guy near him also has Italian Cammo trousers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X