BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Use of Foreign Uniforms?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    SS Use of Foreign Uniforms?

    Was just wondering if the SS got much use out of foreign uniform items like Dutch/Czech/Austrian caps/ tunics/trousers, or did most of it end up in the hands of the Wehrmacht?

    #2
    Commenting because i wonder the same.

    Comment


      #3
      never say never!,,but..
      - I'd say the number 1 user was Wehrmacht. Labor, Police, Luft also used but many without proper insignia..

      Comment


        #4
        The 12th SS in Normandy was known to use Italian camo
        Attached Files

        Comment


          #5
          There's a reminiscence from a volunteer in the 25th Division Hunyadi, where he is stating that he was equipped with "a german cap and pants, belgian tunic, french greatcoat, yugoslavian belt, and finnish boots"in January '45 at Neuhammer.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by J. Csernus View Post
            There's a reminiscence from a volunteer in the 25th Division Hunyadi, where he is stating that he was equipped with "a german cap and pants, belgian tunic, french greatcoat, yugoslavian belt, and finnish boots"in January '45 at Neuhammer.
            That is interesting!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Airdale View Post
              The 12th SS in Normandy was known to use Italian camo
              Lots of W-SS units were issued clothing made from M33 Italian camo pattern material ... not Italian uniforms. The LAH and HJ happen to have been the most photographed units at the time and so we see them 'modelling' these garments more than most.

              Ian

              Comment


                #8
                WH definately used all sort captured uniforms, but never seen any in wss use.
                Definately italian units of WSS were using italian tunics. Don't know if any other units of wss were using captured uniforms.

                Know that a lot of captured equipment was used by wss (like italian messkits, boots, blankets, camo cloth ), but never seen a photos showing usage of capture uniforms ( except for mentioned italian uiforms in use of italian wss unit ).
                Still looking for LARGE SIZE M43 gabardine jacket and m43 gabardine cap ... maybe some day I will find it best regards Marcin

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
                  WH definately used all sort captured uniforms, but never seen any in wss use.
                  I definately recall seeing a Dutch tunic re-tailored to be re-used by a W-SS officer. It was posted on here some years ago ... maybe by Nick Groeters ?

                  Ian

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Nick G could probably answer this question in depth more than anyone on the forum.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by J. Csernus View Post
                      There's a reminiscence from a volunteer in the 25th Division Hunyadi, where he is stating that he was equipped with "a german cap and pants, belgian tunic, french greatcoat, yugoslavian belt, and finnish boots"in January '45 at Neuhammer.
                      I wonder how he knew?

                      The stamps don’t necessarily give away the country of manufacturer and if I was a Hungarian man in 1945 I doubt my knowledge would be enough to identify the various uniforms origins.
                      I collect photos of beer drinkers in the Third Reich.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                        I wonder how he knew?

                        The stamps don’t necessarily give away the country of manufacturer and if I was a Hungarian man in 1945 I doubt my knowledge would be enough to identify the various uniforms origins.
                        Agreed.
                        There was a thread already which showed a photo with a Dutch re - issue tunic being worn by an SS volunteer.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          reissued

                          I would expect there were lots of cases of foreign uniform articles being reissued, retailored, and rebadged for use with W-SS personnel, especially any of the units that had substantial foreign contingents, which was a lot of them.

                          The problem though, from a collecting viewpoint, is 100% will get dumped on as being fake by pretty much everyone.

                          I can't say I have a solution for that other than make sure you are happy with the items you buy, cuz there's always a chance that nobody else would be.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Chad1 View Post
                            The problem though, from a collecting viewpoint, is 100% will get dumped on as being fake by pretty much everyone.

                            I can't say I have a solution for that other than make sure you are happy with the items you buy, cuz there's always a chance that nobody else would be.
                            There are two types of collectors ...

                            The Hoover This one collects everything there is around them no-matter how good, bad or downright ugly it may be. Collecting for the here and now and screw the consequences. All well and good until the day comes when their collecting focus changes and they wish to cash it in and they try to convince others what they have conned themselves into believing

                            The Consensus Collector They buy textbook, approved, safe items. (whether for financial investment reasons or, like me, they are aware that a relative may have to sell their collection on again in the non too distant future) I have an occasional evening with a very large JD on the rocks when I sit and enjoy my collection (medals, ribbon bars and 1 sword) ... a single questionable piece would completely ruin that for me.

                            As I've said before the actual 'value' of a piece is market value divided by the number of excuses you have to make for it.

                            Ian

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by paul.j View Post
                              Agreed.
                              There was a thread already which showed a photo with a Dutch re - issue tunic being worn by an SS volunteer.
                              Indeed...I posted it last July...

                              Ukrainian (Galician Div) SS volunteers including a member with a converted Dutch tunic!

                              Also note the black backed M43 trapezoid cap insignia and some wearing the Galician lion tab.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing this Thread

                              Collapse

                              There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                              Working...
                              X