Wilhelm Mohnke color piped visor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilhelm Mohnke color piped visor?

This photo is a known one that clearly shows Mohnke wearing his visor cap with chin cord removed. Seems to be common practice by HJ division officers at the front. Hans Waldmuller on the right.
    Attached Files

Recently my friend found more from this day in an Italian publication. From a different angle it looks like this cap could be color piped. PZ Gren? Maybe just dirty?
    Attached Files

Comment

WSS waffenfarbe for Pz .Grend was white

Comment

Originally posted by wehl View Post
        WSS waffenfarbe for Pz .Grend was white
        Up to November 1940 it was grass green

Comment

Thanks for these photos.
          I also notice he has the camo rank patches on both arms.
          I thought regulations specified only on the left arm.
          Was placement on both arms the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by salt*creek View Post
            Recently my friend found more from this day in an Italian publication. From a different angle it looks like this cap could be color piped. PZ Gren? Maybe just dirty?
            Can you be kind to share the name of this Italian publication

Thanks beforehand

Comment

What SS elements were PzG. in 1940? LAH wasn't even a PzG. division until late 1942. Mohnke's early units were reg. infantry as far as I can recall.

It doesn't look colored to me - it could be dirty white, since this was in Normandy, or it could be silver for Officers.

Comment

Originally posted by paintbrush View Post
                What SS elements were PzG. in 1940? LAH wasn't even a PzG. division until late 1942. Mohnke's early units were reg. infantry as far as I can recall.

It doesn't look colored to me - it could be dirty white, since this was in Normandy, or it could be silver for Officers.
                YES all officers wore silver!

Comment

Originally posted by salt*creek View Post
                  YES all officers wore silver!
                  Officers did not wear silver piping on their schirmmutzen ... only SS-Oberfuhrer and above wore that.

Ian
                  Last edited by Ian Hulley; 10-08-2019, 03:37 AM.

Comment

SS Pz Gren. wore " White" waffenfarbe. No "Green" waffenfarbe was ever used in the W-SS for Pz Gren. The green waffenfarbe used by Heer Pz Gren units wasnt even used by all Heer Pz Gren units.
                    I am surprised how often this comes up. The Beaver Allg/W-SS headgear book even included an example of a Polizei cap (green piped) with added SS insignia labeled as W-SS Pz Gren.

Comment

I don’t know what the publication was. I’ll see if I can find out.
                      The reason for this thread was to show some newly found photos of a high ranking SS Officer and speculate what, if any other color but white was on his cap.
                      We all know the regulations and can look them up. Only one guy commented on what his opinion is. Regulations go out the window when you are speaking about a knights cross winner commanding a 3,000 man SS PZ Grenadier Regiment.
                      Studying the HJ Division for years and knowing their emphasis on camouflage, I would guess that Obersturbannfuhrer Mohnke purposely blacked out the white piping and removed the chin cord.
                      As far as the rank insignia on both sleeves go, it was very common in the 12th SS Division in 1944.

Comment

Well with 2 threads going it seems more people posting on this thread than the one in Headgear forum:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1018773

Hard to tell from black and white photos unfortunately. Silver, white, pink, gold (wasn't he a general rank by than) so hard to tell.
                        WAF & MILITARIA INFLUENCER

Comment

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
                          (wasn't he a general rank by than) so hard to tell.
                          Not from the sleeve rank insignia which clearly shows SS-Standartenfuhrer.

SS-Oberfuhrer 4th November 1944

Ian.
                          Attached Files

Comment

My opinion, standard visor cap and no, not colored piping. The bottom waffenfarbe piping is simply stained from sweat and wear which has darkened it. You will note in the famous Normandie Front Wochenschau of Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 26's award ceremony the face grabber Mohnke re-affixed the chin cord but it is the same visor cap, shape, insignia, etc. Clearly, not colored in or colored waffenfarbe.

Last edited by Lloyd I.; 10-11-2019, 12:46 PM.
                            Wanted: Stab III Infantrie-Regiment 41 (MOT) later Stab III. Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 41 items
                            Items from family name Giehrl

sigpic

Comment

Is it my eyes or is this a British Cammo net ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X