X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that zelt is a rare bird !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone how many tarns late poly are around, I noticed a third in a Russian forum but photo no more available.

Comment

Not many.

Its virtually extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
          That's the point exactly: with a screen you would have a "cut" in the flow of the pattern once you realign the screen, keep in mind that the prints were rather sloppy. This one doesn't have that "cut" . Neither does block or lateral. Thus and due to the repeat it's roller printed. The first rollers were larger in order to cover the full front or back of a smock without a repeat. The same idea as with zelts and planetree: No visible repeat.

They have dropped that later on as we know.

Cheers
          I'm sorry but, no. These are 100% hand screened. Besides the screen degration (blurry dye appearance) and the whole overlap of screens only really seen on screened patterns (plus the huge roller size)...

On the poly zelt, you can very clearly see a repeat (screen edge) in the photo- hence why I posted it. Is it blocky like the numbered prints? nope, and much cleaner. But, it is indeed there.

Attached are 2 pics of original lateral stuff. Just like the numbered prints, they have register marks (small crosses visible on the lower left corner on each piece)

Speaking from experience printing both numbered stuff and lateral, I can assure you, these patterns are/were completely hand screened, only utilizing smaller screens and a much more neat and careful tiling
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Graham G View Post
            I'm sorry but, no. These are 100% hand screened. Besides the screen degration (blurry dye appearance) and the whole overlap of screens only really seen on screened patterns (plus the huge roller size)...

On the poly zelt, you can very clearly see a repeat (screen edge) in the photo- hence why I posted it. Is it blocky like the numbered prints? nope, and much cleaner. But, it is indeed there.

Attached are 2 pics of original lateral stuff. Just like the numbered prints, they have register marks (small crosses visible on the lower left corner on each piece)

Speaking from experience printing both numbered stuff and lateral, I can assure you, these patterns are/were completely hand screened, only utilizing smaller screens and a much more neat and careful tiling
            I am sorry but as I have said we will have to disagree.

In the area of that cross mark one should be able to see a clear cut in the pattern as that is were three usually sloppily aligned screens join all of them using somewhat different dye lots. I can't see any of it.

I have to admit that the number of block and lateral smocks I have seen is limited. So I am unable to tell if that cross is a marking for cutting or printing ( also with rollers).

What you call a repeat from screen printing can also be seen in roller prints.

The thing I don't quite get is why you would print material in the length required for a smock using two prints per screen if you could just use one, if it would have been large screens used I would not expect a repeat. Large screens were known from zelts which have the required size for a smock.

Repeat is the common thing for rollers. Rollers were well known, splinter is a roller print and older than any of the SS prints.

Also I fail to see the typical flaws and features that come with period screen prints. That is different dye lots, the typical smear marks or flaws from damaged screens etc..

Cheers

Comment

Can anyone name this pattern?
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I'm blown away at the assertion that these were roto-printed.

I am VERY vamiliar with hand screening this very pattern. The registration marks were not cut marks. They are solely for allignment of hand screens. Show me the registration marks on any roto-printed pattern; palm, oak, blurred... there are none.

The registration marks are to align hand screens. Period. The degree of sloppiness is simply based on the people doing the printing. Sometimes it is aligned well and you can only see the darkest color because it overpowers the other colors (fun fact, the darkest color is printed FIRST on both hand screened plane trees as well as overprint yet no color overpowers it). Sometimes, it isnt alligned well and you can see the marks in the other screens, which is simply an error. I would love to see these massive 32" circumference rollers that would be requited to roto-print these patterns while still displaying the obvious signs of being hand-screened such as the obvious overlap at the end of one repeat to the next (as is clearly shown on that polyspot zelt).

As stated, I am intimately familiar with textile printing and this very pattern in particular. There is NO way lateral etc. was roto-printed.

Much respect.
                  -C

Comment

Agreed 100%.

Comment

Fred
                      That’s probably a 1/2 hand screening print.
                      However all the early plain over prints follow almost the same traits with only micro variations.
                      O

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                        Fred
                        That’s probably a 1/2 hand screening print.
                        However all the early plain over prints follow almost the same traits with only micro variations.
                        O

Thanks a lot Owen. Mystery solved.

Comment

Fred imo 1/2

Comment

Thanks.

First I thought it was a lateral as I couldn’t find a match on the pattern.

Comment

Cap looks like early 5/6 to me, or perhaps 3/4

Comment

WOW! On the Polyspot zelt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X