So that's where that one ended up. Fantastic smock, and incredibly rare

Comment

Originally posted by Graham G View Post
      So that's where that one ended up. Fantastic smock, and incredibly rare
      I was lucky but I known what it was.

Comment

i know this pattern as "unnumbered plane tree"

Comment

Someone call it in numbered other polispot late.
          Is a long debate almost useless; on Silvestri book is called polispot late and imo he followed:
          1) Development from block to lateral than polispot
          2) method of dyes
          3) period and model

Without starting a useless debate on the name to give I saw cmon traits with lateral (oblunged segments ) and blocks (group of segments oblunged) of course has also some plane tree traits. With lateral has dark Stains (much more rounded on in mumbered / late ps) and small dots about all in same position and in very less quantity.

Here the Schiffer book "camouflage of the waffen ss" image showings similar traits and dots of "early" and"late" ps
          Attached Files

Comment

100% link cousin and a VERY RARE print to find in ANY garment.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfall View Post
              i know this pattern as "unnumbered plane tree"
              What you are referring to is yet another pattern based on 5/6.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                What you are referring to is yet another pattern based on 5/6.

Cheers
                Before this goes down the endless rabbit hole, he means this pattern, not denumbered 5/6 (which normally is only called that). It all depends who you talk to, etc., but in this case, typically:

-Lateral
                -Polyspot
                -unnumbered (this one)

Late poly/unnumbered/whatever you want to call it

Comment

Polyspot is the reference name i've always associated with this print, not often seen.

Nice display G!

Comment

Before this goes down the endless rabbit hole, he means this pattern, not denumbered 5/6 (which normally is only called that). It all depends who you talk to, etc., but in this case, typically:

-Lateral
                    -Polyspot
                    -unnumbered (this one)

Late poly/unnumbered/whatever you want to call it

I believe it is crucial to use the proper terms in order to avoid confusion. "Unnumbered" or "no number" planetree is all different and has nothing to do with polyspot (or block or lateral or blurred edge).

Put block in front of lateral and blurred edge right behind polyspot in your list and your list is complete as far as the evolution of that pattern goes. Unnumbered or no number planetree doesn't belong there as it was derived from an actual planetree pattern (5/6).

The main point however is that polyspot is not related to planetree at all. It's a roller printed pattern - unlike planetree (in any case the actual overprint) and it wasn't derived from any planetree print.

Again, this is just to avoid confusion.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

This pattern repeats every 75cm

Comment

I believe it is crucial to use the proper terms in order to avoid confusion. "Unnumbered" or "no number" planetree is all different and has nothing to do with polyspot (or block or lateral or blurred edge).

Put block in front of lateral and blurred edge right behind polyspot in your list and your list is complete as far as the evolution of that pattern goes. Unnumbered or no number planetree doesn't belong there as it was derived from an actual planetree pattern (5/6).

The main point however is that polyspot is not related to planetree at all. It's a roller printed pattern - unlike planetree (in any case the actual overprint) and it wasn't derived from any planetree print.

Again, this is just to avoid confusion.

Cheers

Fritz
                        The unnumbered I'm referring to is the thread starter here- which is not the same pattern as polyspot. The denumbered 5/6, yes, is simply 5/6 with some changes on blocks and numbers.

Polyspot and the unnumbered that start this thread are both hand screened, not roller printed. As far as the shorter-repeat unnumbered planetrees go, it is

-block
                        -lateral
                        -poly
                        -this late unnumbered (lat/poly mix)

All of which are hand screened

Blurred is an evolution of lateral, but roller printed

Hopefully this clears it up a bit.
                        Last edited by Graham G; 10-17-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

All of which are hand screened
                          I am afraid we will have to disagree.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by viva_giulio View Post
                            This pattern repeats every 75cm

Yes.

Comment

I am afraid we will have to disagree.

Cheers
                              With all due respect, I'm not sure what there is to disagree on?

Here (photo is not mine btw), you can very clearly see the screen repeat and the hand-screened nature of the print. Also, it's worth adding that the pattern is much larger than roller printed ones.
                              Attached Files

Comment

With all due respect, I'm not sure what there is to disagree on?

Here (photo is not mine btw), you can very clearly see the screen repeat and the hand-screened nature of the print. Also, it's worth adding that the pattern is much larger than roller printed ones.

That's the point exactly: with a screen you would have a "cut" in the flow of the pattern once you realign the screen, keep in mind that the prints were rather sloppy. This one doesn't have that "cut" . Neither does block or lateral. Thus and due to the repeat it's roller printed. The first rollers were larger in order to cover the full front or back of a smock without a repeat. The same idea as with zelts and planetree: No visible repeat.

They have dropped that later on as we know.

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X