Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is not a mask,but you have to see this one...
    A pilot of the luftwaffe with some kind of experimental high altitude helmet,in a also experimental plane,I beleive it's called the " Horten ".
    Found this pic. on a chech.website about experimental German planes in the second world war.

This is the experimental plane

Comment

And the last one for today

Comment

Theo, the springclamp you're showing is a good one, probably grounddug and restored a bit..

As a note I'll say that you/we'll never find original straps for the mask, not for the bomber, nor for the fighter..
        Only thing left are some parts, but the straps are all fake or made outoff gasmask straps etc..
        If you ever decide to buy a found/grounddug mask you'll have to keep in mind that it'll take quite some work to fix it and/or to find the proper parts.

There's a guy or maybe more on Ebay who sell fixed masks and they're quite nice..
        Prices in the range of 500/750 Euro.
        Ofcourse these masks have fake clamp, fake straps, fake BAL stamp and fake faceflap (bomber that is )
        The straps for the fightermasks are Czech made and made rather well.

So, IMO one can buy a complete original, a original with replaced tube or something or a late war grounddug mask which needs a lot of work or a already fixed one.
        This is a bit my point of view and experience over the years concerning O2 masks.

Jos.

Comment

Jos,

Thank you very much for your reply.
          Maybe,one day,one of us is lucky to meet a veteran fighter/bomber pilot who's willing to trade his original mask for a bottle of beer

I'm aware that finding an original mask will be a hard job.

Let's keep on dreaming by looking at the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté View Post
            Theo, the springclamp you're showing is a good one, probably grounddug and restored a bit..

As a note I'll say that you/we'll never find original straps for the mask, not for the bomber, nor for the fighter..
            Only thing left are some parts, but the straps are all fake or made outoff gasmask straps etc..
            If you ever decide to buy a found/grounddug mask you'll have to keep in mind that it'll take quite some work to fix it and/or to find the proper parts.

There's a guy or maybe more on Ebay who sell fixed masks and they're quite nice..
            Prices in the range of 500/750 Euro.
            Ofcourse these masks have fake clamp, fake straps, fake BAL stamp and fake faceflap (bomber that is )
            The straps for the fightermasks are Czech made and made rather well.

So, IMO one can buy a complete original, a original with replaced tube or something or a late war grounddug mask which needs a lot of work or a already fixed one.
            This is a bit my point of view and experience over the years concerning O2 masks.

Jos.
            Jos,

So, the face flap only applies to Bomber crews? If so, why did it not apply to fighter pilots?

What was the purpose of the face flap?

Regards,
            Robert.

Comment

The face flap was to protect the wearer from frostbite..

Fighter pilots didn't have this to make the mask more handy and a bit lighter.., fighters have to put the mask on and off many times, a faceflap would bother too much plus fighters did wear Netzkopfhaube's which aren't suitable for faceflaps.

A few pics..

The pic shows AUER bombermasks, you can tell by the typical manchet at the top of the hose, other makers didn't use this feature.

Jos.
              Attached Files

Comment

The early AUER HM 5 mask for bomber..

Jos.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the information and interesting pictures

Comment

Fw 190 pilot with 6701 mask

Hi there,

Here is my input! Fw 190 pilot with 6701 fighter oxygen mask.

Regards
                    Roger
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting Roger,nice pic.

Comment

O2 Mask Model 1069

I love the pics gentlemen, here's a pic that I'm fond of, it is of a fighter pilots O2 mask, the early model 1069. As far as I know it was the first O2 mask designed for the Netzkopfhaube. I got it from Brian L. Davis's Luftwaffe book, volume 2 page 165. Naturally, I would love to have an original one for my collection, but they are rare.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting picture....I wonder why he has the communications cable behind the masks' right strap.
                          It does not look comfortable,pushing into his right cheek...
                          Anyone knows ???

Thank you very much for the pic.

Comment

LW fighter mask of a JG104 pilot

Hello,

I have posted some photos of an item from my collection here:

lwcollectibles.blogspot.com

It once belonged to a pilot who claimed that he got conversion training to the HE 162 at the end of the war while flying with JG104. His pilot license doesn't mentione the He 162, however, and I couldn't find any proof that the He 162 was delivered to JG104.

Regards
                            Roger

Comment

Oxygen Masks

Hello,

I have some more oxygen mask photos on my blog: http://lwcollectibles.blogspot.com

HM5 mask

Wartime oxygen mask photos

Regards
                              Roger

Comment

hi ,i just wonder how much i would have to pay for a mask like that,i kind of getting more and more interested in luftwaffe flight equipment.
                                best regards
                                G

Comment

Working...
                                X