LW flare belts and straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW flare belts and straps

"Many leg flare strapes were field made or improvised by individuals to carry as many of the different types of signal as possible. As a result,they exist in many styles, shapes, color and forms, and from many different materials" Luftwaffe Vs RAF page 52

Pictured are 2 of them -the one on the top is an early example of field-made leg flare straps, patterned after the flare cartridge holder inside the pocket of the "channel" trousers.

Both are construccted from black cotton with leather loops - one for 6 the other one for 8.

Both have double-pronged buckles similar to the type found on period trousers or breeches.
    Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:31 AM.
    Collection : http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Last edited by François SAEZ; 07-06-2008, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Nice belts !
        Originals are hard too find...
        I've a brown suede leather one,probably privat made..
        Nice thing is the loops also have a grey silk lining.

Jos.
        Attached Files

Comment

back.
          Attached Files

Comment

A very polite way of telling him the top two are fakes. I love your original belt ! good Collecting, signalman

Comment

Originally posted by SIGNALMAN View Post
              A very polite way of telling him the top two are fakes. I love your original belt ! good Collecting, signalman
              Well,

I assume you can highlight me and other a little bit more here by telling more why fake.
              Now, FYI, Jos and I are close enought for him to tell me if he thinks that one of my items is not ok for him without being "polite".
              For the future, from somebody hidden behind a nickname, thanks to keep your sarcasm and keep on the subject by explaining why fakes in your opinion, but can you?

Comment

Hi signalman,
                I've studied a bit of these flarebelts and I've seen not many that are alike ..,era pic show us that many are selfmade constructions made from "scrap" so to speak..
                How can you be so sure Francois' belts are fake ?
                To me they're very convincing,the leather used for the loops is the soft "artificial" leather used for loops in flightpants etc,it's almost impossible to find leather made like this,the buckles are the kind used on Off.breeches etc..
                I personally do like them a lot and I've seen many I don't like ..
                I'm curious about the red flags,can you be more specific ?

Jos.

Comment

I rather like them myself and would NOT have a problem owning ANY of the above examples!!! We have seen the one I have in my collection...haha. "The tropical cloth marked 1938 !!"

Comment

Signalman,
                    If this is your view of Francois' belts then I'm afraid you are rather clueless. If you had done a search of Francois' postings, you would have found that he is one of the most knowledgeable collectors around. And if you had checked Jos out, you would have been able to establish for himself what Francois has stated in his response to you.
                    Listen, read and learn, would be my recommendation.
                    Sandro
                    Looking for personal items of German, Austrian and Italian commanders of the WW I Isonzo and Trentino fronts. Also looking for the Ehrenpokal and other items belonging to Hauptmann Werner Lucas, JG 3.

Comment

Hello, I have seen your collection, at least what you have posted on WA, and it is the finest that I have seen. However, that said, I have ~ 2500 flareguns in my collection ~ 350 flaregun holsters ~ over 1,000 flares. It is the largest collection of flareguns in the world, although Dr. Baumgarten has a larger German Collection. ( Mine only has ~ 500 different German flareguns.)

I have seen one of the reproducers of fake flare belts with one almost identicle to yours in the above post. It was at the SOS's in Louisville, or the Max show. The faker shows up at both shows, and always has an assortment of them although he only trys to peddle one at a time.

Personally what I do not like about it is the hight of the loops compaired to the belt, and the stitching. I was commenting on the photo, obviously I do not have the items in front of me to examine, but at this time, I personally do not like the belts. I have learned to never say never, as almost anything can turn up.

If my comments offended anyone I am sorry, but I thought the free exchange of ideas was accepted on collectors forums. I will go back to *** now.

Comment

Well,I believe flarebelts are copied,just watch Ebay...,the point is how they're made,material,certain other features that make you feel comfortable...,about the height I think there was no standard,Francois' type can be found in era pics...+ I'm sure the leather etc of his' is different from the fakes offered.

At the moment I think people have to be more afraid of the socalled standard cotton or canvas LBAB L or R marked ones with the alu buckles..

You've a lot of flareguns..

Jos.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 08-31-2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                        X