Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinz wolfgang schnaufer - aircraft tail fin newspaper article

Hi,
    just found this article about HWS tail fin that went to auction in 2015, anybody know what it made?
    cheers,
    Rick
    Attached Files

I've marked it at £90 000. Don't know if it was with commssion. Way cool anyhow.

Comment

Wow! That has to be the most expensive shed roof ever..... but an iconic WW2 souvenir...
      Rick

Comment

This one resides in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra...

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

How many Me's did he have, painted in the same color...?

Jos

Comment

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aircr...ra-awm-487587/
            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...atch-roof.html
            https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30084143

I'm not sure if I remember correctly or not, but I think I read years and years ago that the Germans marked up another Bf 110 with all of his kill markings when he/they surrendered or something along those lines?
            There was something to do with two different airframes. Standing by to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos L C View Post
              How many Me's did he have, painted in the same color...?

Jos
              And why use something that is riddled with bullet holes to fix your leaking roof with....

Seb

Comment

Does it mean anything that all those victory marks from 1942 all the way till the end ot the war seam to be painted using the same templates, paint shades and dates are painted in an identical style like by the same hand.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post
                  Does it mean anything that all those victory marks from 1942 all the way till the end ot the war seam to be painted using the same templates, paint shades and dates are painted in an identical style like by the same hand.

Jack
                  Great observation, I would say the tail fin is a 'representative' of HWS kills...... either that or someone at the museum has the original hanging on their wall!!!

And with regards to what Seb said about fixing a leaky roof I suppose it depends on how big the hole was?

Rick

Comment

There is one of Schnaufer's tail sections in the IWM collection London as well..

Bob.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Would the real Schnaufer tail fin please stand up.

Comment

Originally posted by cossack1648 View Post

Jack
                        I am sure they were all (re)done at the same time once he was aware he was awarded a particular grade of the KC, for photo purposes. Same was done with the kill-rings of Wittmann's TIGER I, once he learned he was awarded the oakleafs, all those kill-rings were specially put on for the photographer:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ravrick View Post
                          Hi,
                          just found this article about HWS tail fin that went to auction in 2015, anybody know what it made?
                          cheers,
                          Rick
                          Last sentence in that article is BS

Comment

Hi, I tend to agree with you, typical press, the article also mentions US army souvenir hunters advancing through Dortmund & Hannover... I thought the British Army advanced through there...
                            Rick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                            X