Officer bars on German helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer bars on German helmet

Ok, the tittle was to get your attention but it’s related.

I picked up a lovely Q68 M40 SD LW lid lot #5555 with a beautifully toned decal.
    It looks like it saw some combat or some backyard combat post war, but is generally in great shape! What I find odd is that there is a slate grey stripe of paint front and center of the helmet. It’s thinner than your typical US lieutenants bar but of similar height. The paint has a little rust to it it appears so I assume it’s been on there a very long time. I’m just wondering if anyone knows of or has period reference to German helmets having been marked in such a way. No, I don’t believe it to be a representation of rank, but maybe something related to training? Etc.

Otherwise yes, it’s just a post war add on so save your breath friends. I can’t post a photo as I’m currently not a Association member and the increased cost has me holding off till next pay period.

Thanks

I want my click back.

Comment

Originally posted by valhallamilitaria View Post
      i want my click back.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
        I want my click back.
        Hahaha, success!

Honestly, I’ll post some photos up in a week or two of it. Just wondering if there was a reason it could be there before I go trying to remove it.

Comment

There could be many reasons for it, remove it now and laugh then cry later when you find out the reason.

Comment

Yeah....pure click bait here.

Seriously though, if you're spending money on German helmets just spend the $30 on association membership to share with the community in a genuine way rather having to bait the membership into reading a fairly useless thread without pics.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I wouldn't do anything until you post them for feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post
              Yeah....pure click bait here.

Seriously though, if you're spending money on German helmets just spend the $30 on association membership to share with the community in a genuine way rather having to bait the membership into reading a fairly useless thread without pics.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I wouldn't do anything until you post them for feedback.
              “The Most perfect shape that has recently been created in Germany has not come from any artist studio. It is the steel helmet.” - 1937

Comment

Sorry guys!! I’ve been an association member since 2012 but I stepped away from the hobby for a couple years until recently. Between a new car and the unbeatable helmet deal I used up all my free cash!

Sometime soon I’ll have em

Comment

well that was a waste of bloody time...you cant scatch together 30 dollars to post a pic?

Comment

Maybe GI art

Comment

Saw the photos on the GHW. Nice looking helmet with a nice patina and a lovely decal. The painted stripe I think is going to remain a mystery. Could be period done for some unknown reason....could be post war. I wouldn't remove it though. With no chinstrap or liner....it's not like you're going to add any value by removing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
                        well that was a waste of bloody time...you cant scatch together 30 dollars to post a pic?
                        No, I am pouring all of my money into the 2003 Grand Marquis I just bought that decided to stop running 4 hours after purchasing. It's on GHW for the time being and once I have the money to spend will be up here as well

Comment

Originally posted by bigschuss View Post
                          Saw the photos on the GHW. Nice looking helmet with a nice patina and a lovely decal. The painted stripe I think is going to remain a mystery. Could be period done for some unknown reason....could be post war. I wouldn't remove it though. With no chinstrap or liner....it's not like you're going to add any value by removing it.
                          Thanks, I think your right. It is a good looking shell, and good for display on a mannequin so I don't have to worry about stress on the liner.

Comment

This is an extremely useless thread.

Steve
                            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Now that I’m an A. Member again, time to turn this useless thread into a useful thread, tell me folks, what do you think of this lovely big ol’ luftwaffe lid.

P.S just borrowed the photos from my old GHW post because I don’t feel like recharging my old phone.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X