Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 Heer DD

Hello! Glad to be here at this forum!
    Yes that's what a said, a what I believe to be original Heer M40 Double Decal, one of the few made in the early months of 1940. The liner band is dated 1940. Naturally any time I've brought up this helmet anywhere it brings a lot of debate and criticism with it, which is understandable. So opinions are welcome, I've been burned before so I won't cry if I find out it's fake or something, but I do believe this is an original helmet. I've had this helmet for a long time and talked with many people who collect only helmets and I always seem to get the same answer after much delibiration, that it's real. A lot of people have pointed out that the National Decal has a pink tent to it, but many other original National Decals have this same tent to it especially it seems ones made by NS. I'm bringing it up here to hear new opinions on it and to see if it still holds up. So please look and criticize at your will, I'm only after the truth as I am not helmet expert and could be completly wrong in saying or thinking this is a real M40 DD Heer.

"Den Marsch von Horst Wessel begonnen
    Im braunen Gewand der SA
    Vollenden die grauen Kolonnen:
    Die große Stunde ist da!" -Von Finnland bis zum Schwarzen Meer

Im braunen Gewand der SA

Comment

I've heard of a DD M40, but it was never confirmed. Love to see what others have to say.

Is that a Pocher decal? Lines are thick on it. Guess its a manufacture thing??

Thanks for posting an interesting lid.

Regards
      Samir

Comment

It looks like a Home Run to me. The lot number is low enough to fit in with the 1940 dates. I think its the real deal......... Congrats!Jerry

Comment

The Heer decal is for sure not textbook NS and it doesn't even look like a Pocher. I remember this helmet from a few years back , appear to be even the same pictures.

Now since that time we have a few new tools like a lotnumber list and the USB microscope.
          There are no other DD M40's known by NS , so the tricolor decal would not be put on at the factory level. (but apparently none were based on the handfull of DD M40's around).

Perhaps the USB microscope could add some muscle to this discussion in favor of the helmet but I still don't like the helmet.

Originally posted by rebeldevil89 View Post
          Hello! Glad to be here at this forum!
          Yes that's what a said, a what I believe to be original Heer M40 Double Decal, one of the few made in the early months of 1940. The liner band is dated 1940. Naturally any time I've brought up this helmet anywhere it brings a lot of debate and criticism with it, which is understandable. So opinions are welcome, I've been burned before so I won't cry if I find out it's fake or something, but I do believe this is an original helmet. I've had this helmet for a long time and talked with many people who collect only helmets and I always seem to get the same answer after much delibiration, that it's real. A lot of people have pointed out that the National Decal has a pink tent to it, but many other original National Decals have this same tent to it especially it seems ones made by NS. I'm bringing it up here to hear new opinions on it and to see if it still holds up. So please look and criticize at your will, I'm only after the truth as I am not helmet expert and could be completly wrong in saying or thinking this is a real M40 DD Heer.

Collecting German WW2 helmets in the 21st century.
          www.germanhelmetvault.com

Comment

I can see your point. I think USB would shed some light on this one and lay the case to rest.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I can't get my head around the Heer decal, as stated most certainly not an NS decal and the detail isnt what you would expect from original decals. On the other hand I quite like the tri colour. Will be an interesting discussion. Regards, Bill

Comment

I've seen this type of decal used on transitionals. There's something "odd" about it though. The National Shield looks good to me (from the photos).

The three M40 DD's I've owned were ET and SE.

With that said, I'd love to see it in hand.

The one I have left is an ET.
                Attached Files
                Always on the lookout for quality WWII U.S. Paratrooper items! tlckkibler@msn.com

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys! I'm glad to see this helmet getting some discussion. I however do not have a USB microscope.
                  Im braunen Gewand der SA

Comment

Could it be possible that these lids were very early M40s and helmet manufactures were still applying double decals?

Comment

Originally posted by Kroenen View Post
                      Could it be possible that these lids were very early M40s and helmet manufactures were still applying double decals?
                      Yes, If i'm not mistaken they kept making them with double decals only for a month or two.
                      Im braunen Gewand der SA

Comment

Are there no more opinions on this helmet?
                        Im braunen Gewand der SA

Comment

Ns

The problem with this helmet is the eagle, not the tri-color.

As franck said, the eagle decal does not match with any known maker!!!!!!

It is not close to a reissue heer decal either.....So, what to think ?

the tri-color could have be applied post war....i believe, this is what happened to most of the DD M40 that are in the collection today.

Comment

I agree with some of the statements above. I also don't have a good feeling towards the eagle decal. The tri-shield I believe is legit. Let me explain. I think it is 100% real, applied post war. That's just me thinking out loud.

Comment

Looks like a re-issue decal bird.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X