No announcement yet.

Painted cloth helmet cover for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to own the aforementioned cover helmet . I realize it is outside the realm of believability for most collectors to be comfortable with but I was and still am convinced the cover was period applied and painted . There are period photos of helmets similar to it being worn in the field war time . There were endless ways in which helmets were camo-modified in the field . I am at a loss that some people here on the forum that regard themselves as "Serious Collectors" cant fathom that this may be a 100% period piece .

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post

It is very unusual and not standard issue. It is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. Personally, absent some solid provenance, I would pass. And even with solid provenance, I would still struggle with it. But I am a conservative collector and I have undoubtedly made errors in the past and passed on authentic helmets.
      + 1 to this. Also I just dont care for the Look of it ....but I guess that personal preference.
      Z

Comment

thanks for the replies, honestly is a kind of piece that you have to believe 101% and on hands can communicate clearly... just curiosity, someone has got any war pictures of these examples?

Inviato dal mio SM-G988B utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Is there period applied paint on the reverse of the camo cover? ie-is there evidence that the helmet camo paint was done and then this cover was put on immediately after?
          Certainly not for the conservative collector but yet it remains compelling to me.
          Eric

Comment

Originally posted by JustinS View Post

I personally don’t like it at all. When I look at the cover, the edges of the cover etc, it doesn’t at all strike me as something that’s been in place for 70+ years. An easy pass for me.
            I am in total agreement.

Comment

It is very unusual and not standard issue. It is not for the faint of heart, that is for sure. Personally, absent some solid provenance, I would pass. And even with solid provenance, I would still struggle with it. But I am a conservative collector and I have undoubtedly made errors in the past and passed on authentic helmets.
              Do not worry Walter in the same vein bad helmets are given a pass as well , nothing wrong with being conservative. I am too. It is not about not believing such cloth camo existed. For sure it does.
              Collecting German WW2 helmets in the 21st century.
              www.germanhelmetvault.com

Comment

Completely agree on all counts Walter, I feel it's good to be picky with what you put in the collection too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-K View Post
                  I used to own the aforementioned cover helmet . I realize it is outside the realm of believability for most collectors to be comfortable with but I was and still am convinced the cover was period applied and painted . There are period photos of helmets similar to it being worn in the field war time . There were endless ways in which helmets were camo-modified in the field . I am at a loss that some people here on the forum that regard themselves as "Serious Collectors" cant fathom that this may be a 100% period piece .
                  Hi Dan
                  I'm sure these things exist and you've had the time to give the piece an in-depth examination which I have not and a hands on may reveal a lot the photos don't show.
                  I'm just not interested in it at all but maybe my dislike is affecting my judgement. I now remember seeing this in a photo of your collection and I remember thinking what the hell is that thing and why is it in Danscollection! You are obviously not faint of heart.

Comment

I like unusual camos and I will admit this helmet is not for everyone . I understand the skepticism but I still believe the cover and camo to be 100% period done .

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-K View Post
                      I like unusual camos and I will admit this helmet is not for everyone . I understand the skepticism but I still believe the cover and camo to be 100% period done .
                      Yes you do, hello Dan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                      X