M42 "Reverse" Double Decal SS Helmet thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panzer1432 View Post
    Perhaps I am incorrect. Party decal is correct, Runic decal still a maybe, hands on would reveal in about 5 seconds.

Partly my thinking is (if real), this is a very rare helmet that does not surface often. It is an Einsatzgruppen foreign volunteer helmet with obvious blood trauma liner. Much more than a police helmet.

The Runic decal turns this helmet from a police M42 to something special and increases value. I am always skeptical when there is damage in key parts of a decal.

If good you have a really nice helmet !
    What a history lesson . I'll cross my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Quist42 View Post
      Hi,

I compare party decal with my good M42 EF Polizei. they are similar, mine is
      imore yellow due to the varnish. Not impotant.

for CA Pocher, I compare with a similar reverse rune found on a good M42 DD SS.
      They are similar too.

So I believe your is a good helmet for the foreign volunteer police formations brought under SS operational control.
      Once again why my membership in this forum has paid off . Thanks for taking your time to do that

Comment

You are welcome.

I don t collect SS helmets or camos too risky.

Comment

Well let's see when it arrives.
          The gentleman from China is correct...an M42 with a pocher decal is very dangerous.
          In my collecting days I have seen several all were bad.

1. One had a very lethal fake Pocher.

2. Another had a REAL SS Pocher applied on top of another decal, probably police decal...but IMO applied Post War.

3. Another DD, police, beautiful party shield. REAL SS Pocher applied over a police decal. But again certainly applied Post War.

I think you have a very nice helmet. But it's money and you should get what you are paying for. With SS helmets you can never count your chickens before they are hatched.

I hate fakers and they are clever, always good to be careful.
          Last edited by panzer1432; 06-01-2020, 10:28 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Well let's see when it arrives.
            The gentleman from China is correct...an M42 with a pocher decal is very dangerous.
            In my collecting days I have seen several all were bad.

1. One had a very lethal fake Pocher.

2. Another had a REAL SS Pocher applied on top of another decal, probably police decal...but IMO applied Post War.

3. Another DD, police, beautiful party shield. REAL SS Pocher applied over a police decal. But again certainly applied Post War.

I think you have a very nice helmet. But it's money and you should get what you are paying for. With SS helmets you can never count your chickens before they are hatched.

I hate fakers and they are clever, always good to be careful.
            This makes very little sense to me, why on earth would a faker put a real Pocher decal over a reasonably valuble DD police helmet when they could put it on an M42 no decal worth peanuts?
            And the decals are so fragile now I don't believe that they could be applied successfully.
            And if done back in the day there was not the knowledge of configuration in my opinion.
            Just my thoughts....
            Regards,
            Bill

Comment

There is a similar reverse runic SS M42 on Shea’s site.
              And I have one from Jim on my website.
              https://germanhelmetvault.com/ss-helmets/
              Collecting German WW2 helmets in the 21st century.
              www.germanhelmetvault.com

Comment

Originally posted by Schwerpunkt View Post
                There is a similar reverse runic SS M42 on Shea’s site.
                And I have one from Jim on my website.
                https://germanhelmetvault.com/ss-helmets/
                Is there a way to track Foreign Volunteers by their last name ? Like a date base for ss soldiers? Would love to research him if possible..Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hermann View Post
                  This makes very little sense to me, why on earth would a faker put a real Pocher decal over a reasonably valuble DD police helmet when they could put it on an M42 no decal worth peanuts?
                  And the decals are so fragile now I don't believe that they could be applied successfully.
                  And if done back in the day there was not the knowledge of configuration in my opinion.
                  Just my thoughts....
                  Regards,
                  Bill
                  Sorry Bill, I am not a liar and two other collectors saw the helmets. A 900. dollar police helmet with a real SS Pocher decal added will become a 3,000. to 4,000. dollar helmet. I purchased one and it was sold to me for what it was, a police helmet with a Probable post war applied REAL pocher decal. As I said in an earlier post it becomes a special helmet. Oldtime collectors from the 60's and 70's said these decals were readily available ! Sure they can be applied ! If we can land on the moon and return, copy famous artworks etc... they can do a camo or a decal.

Why would anyone put a REAL pocher on a M 42 ?...Pocher SS decals after perhaps 1940, was an after market decal. (Consult Doug B's chart researching decal usage). The only real reason to do so would be reclassification from police to SS service. Look at page 191 Ludwig Baer Book. There are 4 examples of the helmet. Check it out. Not police activity. All decals were stopped in 1 November 1943.

If the owner of the helmet allows me to release pictures of the helmet, I will post them.

Post war applied characteristics are important to look for.

Lastly a study of the SS will reveal that they were not "soldiers like any other" but a special breed apart. That is why their helmets command a higher price. Also why we have to stay on top of this to make sure that in May 1945 it was an SS helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by koisokok View Post
                    Is there a way to track Foreign Volunteers by their last name ? Like a date base for ss soldiers? Would love to research him if possible..Thanks!
                    I believe the name is of eastern european descent. You have a connection, it is original.

Comment

I believe the name is of eastern european descent. You have a connection, it is original.
                      Read your reply regarding postwar applied pocher declas, interesting and it would be of interest seeing one of these postwar applied decals on a lid for sure. The comment above, im not sure if sarcasm was involved, would it not be as easy to put a Easter European name in a helmet if a faker has gone to the trouble of adding a postwar decal

Comment

If you forget everything you know about fakes and think about what makes a helmet original and go back and look at the whole helmet I think it looks like exactly what it is. It's good to be suspicious with these things but I think it blinds us all bit sometime's.

Comment

One from franks site on the left and ss steel inc on right
                          Attached Files
                          sigpicRanger Boats. There is no substitute

Comment

Waf members on the left and right on on the duck
                            Attached Files
                            sigpicRanger Boats. There is no substitute

Comment

Great comparison photos Lenny . . . I am leaning towards "Positive" for this helmet . . . and Yes, I am always extremely wary of Pochers sitting on M42's (nearly every one I have seen is post-war applied)

But I like this one . . . don't know why, it jut seems "right" . . . but has the Pocher been applied pre 1945 or maybe in the 50's or 60's . . . that's the doubt a helmet like this brings.

Would I be comfortable to own it, instead of using my money on an unquestionable SS Helmet, NO.

And as someone else said, you are a "Gutsy Newby" launching your TR Helmet collecting hobby wth this helmet!

All the best and I sincerely hope its a good one!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERBLASTER View Post
                                Great comparison photos Lenny . . . I am leaning towards "Positive" for this helmet . . . and Yes, I am always extremely wary of Pochers sitting on M42's (nearly every one I have seen is post-war applied)

But I like this one . . . don't know why, it jut seems "right" . . . but has the Pocher been applied pre 1945 or maybe in the 50's or 60's . . . that's the doubt a helmet like this brings.

Would I be comfortable to own it, instead of using my money on an unquestionable SS Helmet, NO.

And as someone else said, you are a "Gutsy Newby" launching your TR Helmet collecting hobby wth this helmet!

All the best and I sincerely hope its a good one!

Michael
                                Thanks for the input Michael. I have been getting some good positive feedback since the last time I chimed in . Uploaded some high resolution close ups on it . Super excited as I just love it. Would love to find a chin strap for it one day. CM200611-091922005.jpg

CM200611-091905004.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Lenny W; 06-27-2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X