No announcement yet.

Italian POW s kit !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jacket does turn up for sale from time to time, ive sold one in the past, usually Indian made as yours is by the stamps and sold as POW garb, never had the shorts thou

Comment

Originally posted by dragnet View Post
      The jacket does turn up for sale from time to time, ive sold one in the past, usually Indian made as yours is by the stamps and sold as POW garb, never had the shorts thou
      Cheers Dragnet... ..yes also NickG said it was made in India by the type of ink stamps on the cloth for the British War Dept to issue POWs in camps in around the Empire ...these items are said to have come from a South African contact..so i guess they wore this Indian made kit aswell..??..cheers..Semovente..
      sigpicBetter a Lion for a Day..than a Sheep for a Hundred Years!

Comment

An update on my Italian POW kit...i have aquired these Italian POWs boots !...they had been on display for over 20yrs in a aviation museum in Linconshire till been sold off to raise funds for refurbishments etc !...the guy who i bought them off said they originaly came from Moorby POW camp 79 in Boston , Lincolnshire..you can see that info writtern in ink on the sole of the boot...Moorby was a huge camp housing both Italian & German POWs..the camp has only recently been demolished i was informed as many huts had become unsafe !!..The boots have woodern soles and reenforced with metal studs & rivets/hobnails etc ..the leather uppers are in a good state of preservation with leather laces...Semovente.
        Attached Files

Comment

Boots..
          Attached Files

Comment

A pic of Moorby 79 POW camp huts..Boston ,Lincolnshire !
            Attached Files

Comment

Two more pics of the overgrown derelict huts of Moorby camp.. now sadly demolished !
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice addition for your display!

I put together this Italian POW display...but sold it later to a collector in Italy! (was it you?)

The Bustina hat is a POW made piece. It reads in embroidered text:
                July 24th 1943, Trapani, (city in Sicily) Embroidery Prigioniere... = prisoner, captured during the battle of Sicily.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 10-01-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

POW made Bustina. Soldier's name, and city where he's from: "Napoli" (Napels) and "mama" (I'm)returning (Ritorni)

The POW made Bustina is reenforced on the inside with British "C"ration "Square Biscuit" box cardboard!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Note the chocolate brown dyed BD uniform as issued to Italian POW's! in the UK.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Last set...Now residing in Italy The period image shows a US uniform...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Embroidery close up! based on the embroidery he was captured July 24, 1943 in Trapani (Sicily)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello NickG...fantastic lot of POWs kit you had there..loved that cap!...sadly it was'nt me that you sold it to..it would have gone well with my POWs items !..funny i recently saw one of those oval green POW patches for sale...but missed it by a whisker !!?...next time maybe...also Nick here is some pics of some of the camps still to found around Britain today !!...Semovente
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some more..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some more examples of POW clothing to be found...USA..German..Dutch ..Canada..!
                              Attached Files

Comment

More...if anyone else has any POW items please show us...cheers
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X