No announcement yet.

Italian Wwii Para Basic Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Folgore! Well, it is not so easy to enter the post WWII Esercito Italiano
    records or official documents! I'm trying to enter them with the little help of
    my friends ( in the SMIPAR), but for the moment I know they too have troubles
    in organizing their own museum. I'm working on it however, considering the
    para stuff, has not yet been totally described and illustrated.About the
    'guitar' MAB case with built-in 6 mag.pouches, at the moment I've not seen
    repros (probably there are), however we've illustrated in this thread two good
    examples at #5 and #13 together with your one at #60. It is clear that if they've made repros of the Samurai (in this thread there's one of them illustrated, and really well made at #27), they should'nt have had troubles in making repros of the 'Guitar' !!!But not the same webbing !!!As for the Samurai!!!This may save the honest collector!
    Other fakes? Well, the khaki knee pads you can easily find on the market, are
    not fakes, but post WWII elbow pads (very different from the knee-pads).
    The M.41 jump black gloves (if they're padded inside with white lamb wool), are
    genuine WWII jump gloves used till exaustion by some units of the current Italian Army, till the end of the 70's. I too have the mag.pouches you show in
    the last photo: well, some people say they're ammo pouches for movie purposes, but considering the cut, the materials, the leather used, and also the small buckles, my opinion is that they're unused specimen of the RSI period.There are a lot of models of these ammo pouches, well illustrated also
    by photos of the time.
    I like this field of search, and I continue in searching....CiaoPaoloM

Comment

I wish you lots of luck Paolo as I think everyone could benefit from your research and gaining access to the early post war information. It is really surprising how in other fields such as US and German we know the specifications of field equipment down to the correct color # of the webbing but we have little to zero information on italian field gear, ww2 or post war.
      As for the MAB, I am sorry I must have misspoken, what I meant to say was that the 'guitar' MAB case is the only one I believe to be 100% ww2. The other MAB canvas cases (standard ones with one or more poches) are the ones I am questioning having seen hundreds of them in wharehouses. Also, the only MAB cases I have ever seen period photos of in use are the 'guitar' (or maybe more correctly ADRA and XMAS) MAB cases. I have not seen any period photos of the others in use and may be the reason why hundreds of them were in wharehouses or that they are early post war items. Anyways, I too enjoy the equipment discussion and would like to keep it going. Maybe some of the other collectors will have input on this topic

Comment

I forgot to mention one other item. The only actual period photos I have seen of MAB carrying cases (other than the ADRA or 'guitar' one) are the canvas ones used for parachuting which are altogether a completely different item which you pictured in your great ADRA article in U&A issue 33 which is another field item for which there is little to no information on.

Comment

Yes, that was a particular case used only for jump purposes used either with
          real weapons or wooden training weapons.I'll touch this matter in a next article on the Italian magazine Uniformi & Armi, while dealing with parachutes
          and jump stuff. CiaoPaoloM

Comment

In the meantime, here's the MAB38A with cover, issued either to the Folgore
            or to the Nembo Divisions. Other models do exist.This, however is the one
            issued to the two para divisions.Cheers,PaoloM
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 01-11-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Beautiful stuff guys!!! I have a couple of questions:

In the picture on post #13 there appears to be a large buckle at the end opening. On post #60, the case appears wrapped around the figure.

Is there a belt fastened to the barrel end of the pouch that uses the large buckle? Was this so the soldier could wear it as a belted item (ammo belt) once he removed the SMG?

thanks,
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dubar1 View Post
                Is there a belt fastened to the barrel end of the pouch that uses the large buckle? Was this so the soldier could wear it as a belted item (ammo belt) once he removed the SMG?

thanks,
                Bob
                Yes, correct !PaoloM
                Attached Files

Comment

Paolo,

I see the belt/buckle used for the end flap, but isn't that a buckle I see in between those two pieces? If so, I don't see a belt for it.

Bob

Comment

I think the two following pictures may clarify this difficult matter.PaoloM
                    Attached Files

Comment

NPs (1944)...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you sir!!! just what was needed.

Bob

Comment

You're welcome!PaoloM

Comment

This is a very interesting thread and very good information on this rare gear and branch of service. I know quite a bit about the Fallschirmjäger (my father-in-law was one) but must admit have no knowledge of the Italian parachutist.

Comment

para italien WWII

Hello which kick used the parachutists before model 41 p-y

Comment

Originally posted by mtfroid-30 View Post
                                Hello which kick used the parachutists before model 41 p-y
                                Excuse, what you mean with 'kick'?PaoloM

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X