No announcement yet.

Italian Wwii Para Basic Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Luca, not easy to find it, however something will come out soon.
    Ciao PaoloM

Comment

'Pazienza' para sapper's ammo vest. Bye PaoloM
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hey group , first posting for me , i have been working on a Paracadutisti impression for a while now , and here's what i have so far , let me know what do you think.

Comment

Good for reenacting.Cheers, PaoloM

Comment

Paolo - YES - 'Pazienza' para sapper's ammo vest. Thank You, Jay

Comment

Good day

Like Alder69, I have begun working on a paracadutisti display. A few questions.

I noticed that the drawing of the first style equipment (ten ammo pouches, six grenade pouches) no longer displays in the message. Is this drawing available somewhere? I understand that this gear was mainly issued to the Folgore and no other unit used it?

In regards to weapons, the photographic evidence supports that the combat weapon issued to the Folgore was mainly the moschetto da cavalleria M91/38. Is this correct? What was the level of issue of the MAB 38a to the Folgore?

It is implied that the MAB 38a was the main combat weapon issued to Nembo and all the follow-on paracadutisti units (the moschetto no longer being issued as the combat weapon). Is this also correct?

Grazie for any assistance.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff, here for you the lacking drawing:
                      from the front view it is not possible to see the the two rear left ammo pouches
                      and the two rear right side ammo pouches
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leser View Post
                        ... I understand that this gear was mainly issued to the Folgore and no other unit used it?

In regards to weapons, the photographic evidence supports that the combat weapon issued to the Folgore was mainly the moschetto da cavalleria M91/38. Is this correct? What was the level of issue of the MAB 38a to the Folgore?

It is implied that the MAB 38a was the main combat weapon issued to Nembo and all the follow-on paracadutisti units (the moschetto no longer being issued as the combat weapon). Is this also correct?

Grazie for any assistance.

Jeff
                        Yes the first version of the gear has been widely used by Folgore but it
                        was available also for Nembo, even if other versions were available.
                        Correct: the Moschetto da Cavalleria, was the main single weapon for the
                        Folgore Division, even if the MAB38 should become later in 1942 the
                        main one, but due to the emergency in the African Campaign the MAB38A
                        never reached the whole diffusion. Only the Nembo Division received
                        since the beginning the MAB38A. However other weapons remained in
                        use for particular purposes:together with the Moschetto also a lot of
                        Mauser K.98s were issued (i.e.: for snipers and other).
                        Ciao PaoloM

Comment

Paulo

Thank you for the information.

Pista!

Jeff

Comment

Hi Paolo,

its my first post, so be gentle with me.

Anyway, regarding the webbing for the Folgore, I had heard that there was also pouches at the back. Is that so? I also heard that the cartridge pouches them selves were also closed with pop snaps, as opposed to being tied shut, as in the sketch you posted. Help clear this up, as i'm getting more and more confused.

Neil

Comment

Correct Neil what you say! It depends on how you wear this gear. You can wear the ammo pouches with the front buckle (and you'll have the 10 pouches
                              on the sides and on the rear), or you can wear the ammo pouches with the rear buckle (and you'll have the 10 pouches on the sides and on front)!
                              THe pouches tied and shut with laces were for spare MAB38 ammo that couldn't be closed either
                              with the snaps or with the buttons, unless you didn't use a lace. We've to remember that these ammo
                              pouches have been drawn mainly for Carcano '91 magazines, so other ammo couldn't be easily packed
                              unless not adapted.
                              Ciao PaoloM
                              Last edited by Paolo Marzetti; 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks Paolo, that clears that up.

I've spent many an hour pouring over pic's of the Folgore and the webbing they used. The difficulty finding info has caused me many a headache.

What happened to it all? Was it all destroyed during the war? i know British forces used to set fire to a lot of captured equipment, so could this be the reason? Has any originals survived?

On the subject of Italian Paratroop uniforms, i spent a great day at the IWM archives in Cambridge,UK last year. Poured over the original Para Smock they have (They actually have two, both captured during the desert campaign), as well as having the 'honour' of identifying an orginal pair of Para boots they had mis-labelled as US para boots. During our day their, we were shown alot of original Italian items, including two Para helmets (One with the nose pad, the other with the oil-cloth at the nape) both captured at El Alamein and covered in sand still!!. my one regret was that we didn't actually go through any field gear. The Archivist's themselves will admit that they know very little about Italian items, and were gratefull that my colleague and I were able to identify so much for them (M37 and M40 giacca, boots, etc).

Getting back to the Folgore Webbing, were the buckles used similar to the 1907 leather gear, or more akin to British webbing attachments? Italian webbing equipment seems to have alot in common with Common Wealth cotton webbing equipment. (I'm aware that the Regia Marina did have a contract with some British suppliers pre war). I just wondered whether the fittings are similar.

Neil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X