Heer nco eagle....olive backing colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer nco eagle....olive backing colour

a Friends has been offered a tunic and the eagle seems strange to him being on a olive green type backing ..then sewn to the usual dark green wool/felt ....said I would post it for some advice
    Thanks in advance
    Gary
    Attached Files

Hi Gary,

This is a bit of a guess, but going by what I know from collecting eagles, this is my theory.

01 - A first pattern army flatwire breast eagle with similar olive coloured backing to the eagle on the tunic you posted.

02 - A second pattern eagle manufactured in first pattern colours, because the design of the second pattern eagle was circulated to manufacturer's before the big switchover in 1936, when the colours changed, and the second pattern design eagle was produced in white thread on dark green. What 02 proves is that some manufacturers were producing a second pattern design eagle in first pattern colours, prior to the switchover.

So, if you imagine a flatwire second pattern breast eagle on first pattern olive coloured backing (like 01), it would look a lot like the eagle that you posted, wouldn't it? That would be my suggestion about what it is; a second pattern design eagle made on first pattern colours.

03 and 04 are examples I have of flat-woven eagles that were put on backing prior to application on tunics to give them a bit more body, to make them stand out. It was a similar principle to first pattern waffenrock breast eagles.

So the breast eagle on you tunic being on wool backing could be an example of that.

Like I said, this is a bit of a guess, pulling together various period elements.

I hope this is useful.

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

And for what it is worth, I think the eagle on the tunic you posted is definitely original, and if it is what I think (a second pattern design on first pattern colours) it is one you don't see very often, so it actually adds character to the tunic.

Comment

Nothing wrong with your eagle Garry
        http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Good one, had one on a summer lightweight tunic. J

Comment

Originally posted by sander vw View Post
            Nothing wrong with your eagle Garry
            +1. That's what I'm thinking.
            Todd
            Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von F├╝rstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

Thanks for the info folks.......I think what threw him was the colouring .....seems Heer eagles are just as complex as SS ones

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X