Foreign Volunteer Tunic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Volunteer Tunic?

This is a strange one to me. It has no insignia, but never had a breast eagle and shows thread remnants of something having been removed from the upper left arm. Markings are faded to unreadable, so hard to say what service this was associated with.

Let's start with what it's not - a police, army, or other standard service tunic. It was never made with neck hooks, removable buttons, or cuff openings. No liner of any type, under pockets flaps or interior, and no features of a combat tunic such as load bearing hooks or straps, bandage pocket, or the like. Upper patch pockets sewn directly to the tunic with no bellows, topped with unusually deep pocket flaps. Lower pockets raked back at an angle, with interior bags.

The color is like the bluish grey of the pullover wool tunics made for eastern slavic troops, and shows lots of field age on collar edges and other high wear areas. The shoulder straps are sewn in, with ends manufactured to be folded under and secured with a button.

Has anyone else seen one of these?

Thanks for looking - s/f Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I've never seen this type of bias tape used on an armpit reinforcement - it has a pattern woven in and almost looks like some type of curtain material.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This one has me stumped...
                  The Blue collar and pointy straps is an interesting theory for it to be Ost Truppen related, but since it does not have any belt support hooks,
                  nor a first aid pouch I believe its not combat related...
                  So just some kind of fatigue clothing for most likely a para-military use. (Luftschutz, Reichsbahn? or Red Cross or something)
                  Probably not (civilian) factory use, since it has pebbled buttons and shoulder straps, but factories also used HBT smocks and garments for their workers...
                  but this one appears to be a little to elaborate for that kind of use...Intriguing piece!

Comment

Thanks Nick. I have a number of work and fatigue tunics; this is just built completely different. This shoulder strap design has been used on other volunteer tunics, this one posted by a fellow forum member (I'll remove the picture if the owner objects to it being posted here). They are sewn in and folder under.

Also note the solid cuffs, which is a regular feature on many volunteer tunics that do not have the sleeve slit.

The color is also very like the sky blue used on the wool German-made gymnastorka tunics - it isn't police color, or one of the various shades of normal combat HBTs.

Having said that - it could be some weird hospital workers tunic or something off the bahn!

s/f Robert

Comment

Wasnt that 2 times on eBay.de?
                      Does it have markings Inside?
                      Any left?

Nick my friend, isnt this some kind of ex austro hungarian style?

The typical shoulderstraps are one austrian Bundesheer and also on hungarian jackets.

The breast pocket design is also on austrian and on Czech tunics

I would say its a slowak tunic
                      Ill study some books
                      Last edited by jürgen; 07-10-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to post the photo showing the same style sewn in boards being worn on a German tunic. Note how the are double folded on the ends, and that the cuffs are solid with no slit.

This also has the thread reinforced armpit vents like an SS Saharina, and the HBT is definitely German.

Juergen, if you have any pictures of examples of these tunics to post, that would be very interesting.

s/f Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

LW Helferin were issued a similar style of work tunic. I remember seeing a similar style worn by KM male personnel. Jim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting it - it certainly bears similarities. The color looks about right, and the pockets are close. The jacket you posted has the buttons on a different set than mine and does not have the sewn-in boards, but I think these two tunics could be from the same "family".

regards, Robert

Comment

Must be this:
                              http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catal...acket-model-30

But in summer Variant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X