The eternal watch banner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The eternal watch banner

Luft banner that I just acquired, it roughly 12”by 7”. Any input on it would be great. Value and use etc Thanks
    Attached Files

Make an effort on the photos

Comment

Imo ...

Originally posted by Riley View Post
      Luft banner that I just acquired, it roughly
      12”by 7”. Any input on it would be great.
      Value and use etc Thanks
      Hello Riley:
      IMO, a fantasy banner based on
      size, poor screen print quality, small
      lettering, ttb type cord suspension.
      As such of minimal value and/or use.
      ........OFW

(below) Period catalog of known ttb examples. Have not
      seen any black banner 2nd pattern Luft Eagle versions.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by oldflagswanted; 01-06-2020, 06:42 AM.
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
        Hello Riley:
        IMO, a fantasy banner based on
        size, poor screen print quality, small
        lettering, ttb type cord suspension.
        As such of minimal value and/or use.
        ........OFW

(below) Period catalog of known ttb examples. Have not
        seen any black banner 2nd pattern Luft Eagle versions.
        I agree with OFW. Poor quality!

Comment

Bought this and other items from the vets son, everything else was good.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
            I agree with OFW. Poor quality!

Comment

"Bought this and other items from the vets son, everything else was good."

I'm sorry to say that this has been a constant theme of regret for decades in our hobby, and even purchasing a piece "from a vet" is no 100% guarantee that that piece is genuine to the TR era. I can't tell you how often I've watched "old-timers" at dealers' tables as they bought badges and other pieces that I could plainly see were post-war fakes, and I immediately knew that those fake pieces would wind up in the estate of a beloved war vet...and that would be all the 'provenance' that anyone would need to establish those pieces as genuine! There is simply no substitute for education in this hobby, any more than no one should go out to buy a rare watch or a silver object or a piece of Hepplewhite, Sheraton or Chippendale furniture without doing hard research to make sure that what you're buying for hard-earned cash is The Real McCoy!

I'm sorry to keep singing this same song, but I believe it needs to be heard and absorbed!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                "Bought this and other items from the vets son, everything else was good."

I'm sorry to say that this has been a constant theme of regret for decades in our hobby, and even purchasing a piece "from a vet" is no 100% guarantee that that piece is genuine to the TR era. I can't tell you how often I've watched "old-timers" at dealers' tables as they bought badges and other pieces that I could plainly see were post-war fakes, and I immediately knew that those fake pieces would wind up in the estate of a beloved war vet...and that would be all the 'provenance' that anyone would need to establish those pieces as genuine! There is simply no substitute for education in this hobby, any more than no one should go out to buy a rare watch or a silver object or a piece of Hepplewhite, Sheraton or Chippendale furniture without doing hard research to make sure that what you're buying for hard-earned cash is The Real McCoy!

I'm sorry to keep singing this same song, but I believe it needs to be heard and absorbed!

Br. James
                I fully agree with this. Same experiences I had at shows in Germany in the 1970's. The old guys bought fake Totenkopf- and other SS cuffbands, which later (after his death) were offered to dealers and collectors as vets-properties. Reason for the fake ones: they could not afford an Original as prices were high then already!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X