Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robs
    replied
    My example, which I started this thread with, is for sale on the estand, if anyone is looking for one:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1020667

Leave a comment:

• Br. James
    replied
    Hi OFW,

Thanks much for your response -- it makes a lot of sense! I hadn't thought of that previously!!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Leave a comment:

• kronn
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank B View Post
    Just picked up this... Berlin Reichskanzlei tapestry. Vet bring back. Been wanting one to find... and is minty... and large. 4 feet wide Almost 6 feet long.
    Impressive qualy mate, just one of the best pieces I have seen

Congrats

Alejandro

Leave a comment:

• oldflagswanted
    replied
    Imo ...

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
    I've seen this tapestry design in the past
    and always wonder what that open area
    above the disk represented? Was it supposed
    to cover a base area and support the weight
    of the banner itself? No fringe on that side either...?
    Any ideas? Thanks,
    Br. James

Hello Br. James:
    IMO the above disk "open area" is a flap
    for use in display of the podium banner.
    .......OFW

(below) Heavy PB with flap over the balcony rail before AH.

Leave a comment:

• Br. James
    replied
    I've seen this tapestry design in the past and always wonder what that open area above the disk represented? Was it supposed to cover a base area and support the weight of the banner itself? No fringe on that side either...? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Br. James

Leave a comment:

• Frank B
    replied
    Originally posted by CPB View Post
    That is beautiful. Would love to own one someday. What's the story?

Congrats
    No real story, just the Vets names was "Jones", recovered in a hall laying of the floor, apparently already removed from the wall when he recovered it in the RK Berlin.

Leave a comment:

• CPB
    replied
    That is beautiful. Would love to own one someday. What's the story?

Congrats

Leave a comment:

• Frank B
    replied
    Just picked up this... Berlin Reichskanzlei tapestry. Vet bring back. Been wanting one to find... and is minty... and large. 4 feet wide Almost 6 feet long.

Leave a comment:

• JasonLoi
    replied
    Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
    ... from 1938.
    (below) Hitler on the hotel Elephant balcony in Weimar.
    The photo posted shows the Oak leafs inside the white circle. Where the other tapestries posted are made differently. I wouldnt say these wernt in the Chancellery due to the period still shown when the Russians were walking through the Chancellery and documented account from the G.I's.

Leave a comment:

• Br. James
    replied
    Is anyone else unsatisfied with the title "Reichschancellery Tapestry" for these pieces? Since the central motif of the needlework is a Golden Party Badge and we accept that design as representative of the "Aletkämpfers" -- the League of Old Fighters -- and since we see that this design was used in other locations away from the Reichschancellery and Berlin -- see note #163 of Hitler in Weimar as an example -- perhaps this design should be referred to as "The Old Fighters Tapestry?"

Any thoughts? Cheers,

Br. James

Leave a comment:

• BrianK
    replied
    That's a gem!

Leave a comment:

• CPB
    replied
    https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=20578

A Reichskanzlei Tapisserie with Liberator Papers. Obtained from Hitlers Reichs-Tag in 1945. An incredibly impressive piece! A massive, thick and heavy cotton and gilt hand embroidered construction. The rectangular shaped obverse features a black static swastika bordered in a gold tress, surrounded by a white roundel and gold acorn leaf wreath. The roundel is bordered in an exterior square white, black and gold lining and all lies on a red base. To the hoist end a sleeve runs horizontally across. The fly end features a decorative gold twisted bullion fringe. The separately stitched on reverse is red cotton with reinforced corners. There is little soil and minor thread catches/holes throughout. The color is beautiful. The fringe is in wonderful condition. It measures approximately 50 ¾ inches wide by 67 ½ inches wide and weighs a hefty 7.75 lbs. Visually impressive...

Included with the piece is a sworn statement, dated August 8th 1985, from William Finney who was assigned to the Air Transportation Command in Berlin, German during WWII. He obtained the Tapestry from Hitlers Reichs-Tag in Berlin in mid 1945. The photograph was not included when I purchased it.

For more information on this Tapestry see: Lt. Col. Thomas N. Johnson “World War II German War Booty” Columbia 1982, p. 56 ff. with illustration of an identical piece from war souvenirs of American Sgt. Ed. Lukow with his description of Reich's Chancellery "...when I entered one of the rooms, there were two large swastika/gold oak leaf tapestries still hanging on one wall with a huge portrait of Fieldmarshall von Hindenburg between them...".

See time 5:01 Battle of Berlin 1945 - Nazi Germany vs Soviet Union.

Rating: Exc++
    Item Number: FL-20578
    Price: $7,599.95 USD

Leave a comment:

• FrenchVolunteer
    replied
    Hi,

very nice picture Ben !

See You

Vince

Leave a comment:

• oldflagswanted
    replied
    Outdoor use ...

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post

IMO these are NSDAP high rank podium banners.
    OFW
    ... from 1938.
    (below) Hitler on the hotel Elephant balcony in Weimar.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• helmetbuyers
    replied
    here's a tapestry in my collection.

I posted it on the forum 8 or 9 years ago? scary how time flies.

I still have it somewhere... packed away in a box and haven't seen it in years.

I placed an HJ armband on it for a size comparison at the time. Robert
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X