No announcement yet.

Reichskanzlei tapestries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a shower curtain out of a Nazi whorehouse.

Comment

If he turned around his cigar would set the flag on fire. Which is what you might as well do to your $5,495 if you decided to buy this piece.

Comment

Paulj is right: the tapestry in note #88 appears to be hanging upside down, with the fringed bottom side shown at the top. May have been cut down from its mounting by a GI in a hurry!

Br. James

Comment

It may have been several times the length and divided among several GIs.

Comment

Hi,
            A friend of mines father brought back a huge pair of swastika tapastries from Krup's House they were confiscated by British mp's he also brought back a dinner service from the same house all that remains of that is a broken scaucer in my collection.
            Mark

Comment

A piece of a TR flag is worth something only if it's some sort of Holy Grail, and that's no Holy Grail.

Comment

Provenance from an item listed at Collectors Guild...

N025971 NSDAP "Reich Chancellery" TAPESTRY. A 127cm x 158cm, single sided, woven needle point, tapestry with a 12cm long bullion fringe has a 58cm diameter features a red base field with a central, 58cm diameter, white circular disc to center with black swastika surrounded by gold bullion oak leaves. The central design is boarded in a double square border that measures approximately 112cm x 124cm. To the top is a 8.5cm wide tunnel loop that allows for suspension. The reverse has multiple sections of red cotton sewn together. Water stains can be seen to the reverse, as well, the front shows usage, tearing, wear and stains.

Included with the tapestry, are typewritten photocopies from "Dick W. (Duffy) Klaer, who began his career with the 29th Infantry Regiment. "Near the end of the war, I was teaching at the Infantry Officer's School at Fountainbleau, France. From there I took the last class of graduates to Potsdam where we were responsible for setting up the Potsdam Conference. It was at the Conference where I met two Russian officers who took me to Berlin before the Americans were allowed - so you see I got first crack at a lot of Nazi memorabilia." The documents also follow a question and answer format, that includes the question "IMPORTANT" How many of the Taperstry’s did you bring back home with you.".... Answer: "There were several Tapestry’s still hanging but many were damaged. I had a couple more." He also speaks of the location of where he obtained the tapestry: "As for the tapestries -- they were hanging in the war planning room of the Chancellery. There were six of them - two each on the side walls and one each (smaller ones) on the end walls. The room was about 14' by 28', there was a very large, long table and about 20 chairs in the room all of which were broken all to hell by the bombings or busted up by the Russian soldiers."

GRADE **** PRICE $11,900.00
                Attached Files

Comment

Kris (reference TR Arts) has one too;

Purchased by my about 5 years ago from a closet collector in the mid west this is the large size chancellery tapestry that measures approx 6 feet high by 4 1/2 wide. The collector had purchased from Bill Shea and came with a certificate not that it needs one and a copy of a veterans affidavit for these and while not specifically for this banner but Shea's own example. In addition I retrieved a 2nd affidavit of 6 pages from another vet and tapestry that is more than interesting. Included with this banner are all 3 docs and will accompany the piece.

The new chancellery would be a monumental undertaking and despite that fact it was finished in just under a year under the direction of Albert Speer. For the most part and due to the war access was of course limited to party officials and Adolf Hitler himself. A book of the inner interiors was made available for public consumption like many other books and displayed some of the beautiful interior decor consisting of mosaics, marble tile line halls, and art. It was a beautiful building.

The tapestries while obtainable are difficult to find in this particular condition which is essentially near mint. The Russians had overtaken the building in Berlin and destroyed many items, some of which will most likely never be seen again. The tapestries were bombarded with wine bottles, urinated on, and otherwise damaged and most often when you do find an example it displays some form of damage or discoloration.

I know that I spent a couple years seeking one of these out and the problem just what I relate above, condition. Since the time that I have owned this example I have seen several cross the auction block and and offered on various sites, none of them would display as nicely as this example nor did they compare. Not to mention they went fairly high.
                  Attached Files

Comment

2 more noted ???

Originally posted by robs View Post
                    Provenance from an item listed at Collectors Guild...
                    N025971 NSDAP "Reich Chancellery" TAPESTRY. A 127cm x 158cm, ...
                    GRADE **** PRICE $11,900.00
                    ...[and]...
                    Kris (reference TR Arts) has one too; ...
                    the large size chancellery tapestry that measures approx 6 feet
                    high by 4 1/2 wide. ...A book of the inner interiors was made
                    available for public consumption ...
                    Hello robs:
                    Thanks for keeping up with the "watch on the Rhine".
                    Will look at these 2 to see where they fit into the list.
                    Never got very excited about these carpet weave things.

OFW
                    (PS/) Strange that these never made it
                    into period RK decor book photos. IMO
                    these were just fancy podium banners.

Last edited by oldflagswanted; 07-13-2014, 05:37 AM.
                    sigpic
                    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Originally posted by oldflagswanted View Post
                      Hello robs:
                      Thanks for keeping up with the "watch on the Rhine".
                      Will look at these 2 to see where they fit into the list.
                      Never got very excited about these carpet weave things.

OFW
                      (PS/) Strange that these never made it
                      into period RK decor book photos. IMO
                      these were just fancy podium banners.

OFW, if glorified podium banners, folks are selling them for big money!

Comment

IMO, and why ...

Originally posted by J. Wraith
                        ...I dont really care for your cavalier and condescending post
                        on these pieces, unless of course I am wrong and you in fact
                        own one?. I think if you did your attitude towards them might
                        be different...
                        JW:
                        I don't own one, as I never collected podium banners,
                        but rather my own focus was on IMO more important
                        military textiles, trooped unit flags (colors & standards,
                        i.e., fahnen und standarten), of all periods & nations.
                        This so called RK Tapestry design, looks like a pb to me,
                        as noted by my posted like characteristic pb chart - by
                        shape, center device, borders, bottom fringe edge, etc.
                        Likewise, in my study of tapestry design I note usually
                        a true tapestry was/is a one of a kind example, and not
                        something found by the dozens in multiple locations.

OFW
                        (below) One of my favorite "true" tapestry examples, from
                        the UK Blenheim Castle, containing a superb grenadier with
                        a captured French Regimental Color (Drapeaux).
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

I own one of them and a bit of banter and opinion as to the tapestries origins or application is welcome. OFW's points can't be excluded. Maybe a period photo showing one of these may finally surface.

Comment

I always wonder why these are called Reichchancelery banner/tapestry, are they property marked so? Is there a specific design chart or manufacture order pointing this particular banner/tapestry to the RC building?

I have studied that building quite a bit and seen hundreds of pictures of it, from construction, inaguration, receptions, special comemorative activities and even funerals...and I never have seen this particular flag present at any of these events in the short period of this building turbulent history. I am not saying that it is impossible that thes banners came from the Reichschancellery...but because my observations stated above, is strange that they never appeared in any of the events that took place in that building.

One must note that most of the specific items designed specificaly for that particular building, would yield a manufacturer and specifications for use.

If someone have a picture of these banner/tapestry in use at the RC building, I would love to see it and of course will put to rest the small debate on the provenance and use of these banners.

This is of course my very personal opinion and view on this very interesting historical discusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Federico Perez View Post

One must note that most of the specific items designed specificaly for that particular building, would yield a manufacturer and specifications for use.

If someone have a picture of these banner/tapestry in use at the RC building, I would love to see it and of course will put to rest the small debate on the provenance and use of these banners.

This is of course my very personal opinion and view on this very interesting historical discusion.
                              Frederico,

Specification for use is written in the construction, are you trying to say it should have instructions or a warning label so they did not misapply its design intent. Its not like going to buy a ladder at Home Depot plastered with warning's how to use it, its fairly clear that its a tapestry and a wall hanging. Back in the day many items were manufactured without consideration for litigation, so they did not need to say " Don't drink and stand on this or Do not grab this and swing from the top step" or even state its intended purpose at all.

There is no provenance for a great percentage of items in the market, no period photos, no nothing. These actually have more provenance that most other items written and in film. The fact of the matter is, and this is no reflection on you is there is a reason there are warning labels all over ladders, its because people who get on internet forums buy them, so you have to label them on how and where to use them so they don't die using one improperly.

Originally posted by robs View Post
                              I own one of them and a bit of banter and opinion as to the tapestries origins or application is welcome. OFW's points can't be excluded. Maybe a period photo showing one of these may finally surface.
                              There is a period photo, and there is period footage.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Wraith View Post
                                There is a period photo, and there is period footage.
                                Perhaps someone could post the photo or a link to the footage. While there's little doubt these hangings were made for the RK or buildings of similar importance, I've never been able to find photos or film linking them to a specific place.

Erich
                                Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X