VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portugal K98k - What can you tell me?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Portugal K98k - What can you tell me?

    I'm on the lookout for a K98k and have been offered a Portugal K98k.

    I don't know yet if it's a 1937 or a 1941. It is described as:

    Matching numbers
    Original - no conversion/refinishing
    Includes matching numbers bayonet
    Condition: As new including bore!!!
    German Waffenamt stamps (it never reached Portugal, but stayed in Germany)


    I don't know much about the Portugal export models. It is said that they have a very nice blueing/finish and that the sling is attached differently on the 1937. Also the sights are different (only on the 1937 I think?).

    Please tell me whatever you know. Are they good? Cheap or expensive or normal prices compared to normal K98k's? Collectible or not collectible?

    Please help

    #2
    Portuguese Contract 98k

    Originally posted by P08
    I'm on the lookout for a K98k and have been offered a Portugal K98k.

    I don't know yet if it's a 1937 or a 1941. It is described as:

    Matching numbers
    Original - no conversion/refinishing
    Includes matching numbers bayonet
    Condition: As new including bore!!!
    German Waffenamt stamps (it never reached Portugal, but stayed in Germany)


    I don't know much about the Portugal export models. It is said that they have a very nice blueing/finish and that the sling is attached differently on the 1937. Also the sights are different (only on the 1937 I think?).

    Please tell me whatever you know. Are they good? Cheap or expensive or normal prices compared to normal K98k's? Collectible or not collectible?

    Please help
    Very nice weapons.. They are expensive here in the USA.. The Portugese Model are Model 937-A Short Rifle and the Model 41 Short Rifle Mod. 37 has sling swivels and the 41 sling attaches the same way as a 98k.. Will post the Port. contract for you soon.... BILL
    Last edited by BILL GRIST; 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM. Reason: sp

    Comment


      #3
      Portuguese Contract 98k

      Originally posted by P08
      I'm on the lookout for a K98k and have been offered a Portugal K98k.

      I don't know yet if it's a 1937 or a 1941. It is described as:

      Matching numbers
      Original - no conversion/refinishing
      Includes matching numbers bayonet
      Condition: As new including bore!!!
      German Waffenamt stamps (it never reached Portugal, but stayed in Germany)


      I don't know much about the Portugal export models. It is said that they have a very nice blueing/finish and that the sling is attached differently on the 1937. Also the sights are different (only on the 1937 I think?).

      Please tell me whatever you know. Are they good? Cheap or expensive or normal prices compared to normal K98k's? Collectible or not collectible?

      Please help
      Very nice weapons.. They are expensive here in the USA.. The Portugese Model are Model 937-A Short Rifle and the Model 41 Short Rifle Mod. 37 has sling swivels and the 41 sling attaches the same way as a 98k.. Will post the Port. contract for you soon.... BILL
      Last edited by BILL GRIST; 01-14-2005, 04:39 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        I second what Bill said. They are very nice, expensive and collectible.

        jeff
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

        Comment


          #5
          Very good thanks.


          I just found out that it's a 1937. It has the different sling attachment and the different sights. It was confirmed. It is in PERFECT condition. It was never used, perhaps never even issued

          It belongs to a collector in Germany who's getting rid of his collection. Asking price is 650 Euro. I guess that's fair considering the condition.

          I wrote my contact, that I'm interested. Now we'll se what happens. My contact's friend already got 2 Springfield 1903 and an Enfield from this collector. All 3 were just as perfect as the K98k. Obviously the collector didn't shoot with his rifles

          Comment


            #6
            That price is very cheap by USA standards. I recently saw a 1941 model in perfect condition sell for $4000.00 last year.

            jeff
            Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

            Comment


              #7
              Oh well.... Of course I shouldn't be that lucky. The seller refuses to mail the gun to me. (I just got my Mosin Nagant that way - no problems). Only pickup at his house...

              So add 500 USD or perhaps more in transportation costs


              4000 USD sounds amazing? Must have been special in some way.

              Comment


                #8
                Is it deactivated?
                WAF LIFE COACH

                Comment


                  #9
                  Contrary to popular belief all Portuguese Contract 98k's did in fact go to Portugal. I have had several over the years and they are quite beautiful. I can't imagine anybody paying 4k for one though! He must not have known that much about them!

                  Gary


                  Originally posted by P08
                  I'm on the lookout for a K98k and have been offered a Portugal K98k.

                  I don't know yet if it's a 1937 or a 1941. It is described as:

                  Matching numbers
                  Original - no conversion/refinishing
                  Includes matching numbers bayonet
                  Condition: As new including bore!!!
                  German Waffenamt stamps (it never reached Portugal, but stayed in Germany)


                  I don't know much about the Portugal export models. It is said that they have a very nice blueing/finish and that the sling is attached differently on the 1937. Also the sights are different (only on the 1937 I think?).

                  Please tell me whatever you know. Are they good? Cheap or expensive or normal prices compared to normal K98k's? Collectible or not collectible?

                  Please help
                  YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
                  Rudyard Kipling

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I would have to say I agree with popular belief. Ex wehrmacht used Portuguese contract guns have been found in Norway where they were converted to 30/06 caliber in the 1950's. Numerous Portuguese contract guns have also been imported here in the last ten years as Russian capture guns. The contract happened to coincide with the build up for Barbarossa, and most certainly portions of this contract were diverted to the werhmacht to satisfy arms demands.
                    Originally posted by Gary Cain
                    Contrary to popular belief all Portuguese Contract 98k's did in fact go to Portugal. I have had several over the years and they are quite beautiful. I can't imagine anybody paying 4k for one though! He must not have known that much about them!

                    Gary

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The problem with that is alllll those rifle with 1937 chamber dates and waffenampts. Why would those get diverted? In Portugal in the museums you can see the 1937 and 1941 dated rifles on display. Why did those make it? So far there has been no evidence that I have seen of these rifles being diverted away from Portugal.. There is plenty to show that the Germans were very careful to meet their obligations to foreign powers however.

                      Gary


                      Originally posted by James Purnell
                      I would have to say I agree with popular belief. Ex wehrmacht used Portuguese contract guns have been found in Norway where they were converted to 30/06 caliber in the 1950's. Numerous Portuguese contract guns have also been imported here in the last ten years as Russian capture guns. The contract happened to coincide with the build up for Barbarossa, and most certainly portions of this contract were diverted to the werhmacht to satisfy arms demands.
                      YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
                      Rudyard Kipling

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Gene

                        No it's fully functional. Untouched and original.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I should have been a little clearer in my previous post. To my knowledge all the 37 dated contract guns were delivered to the Portuguese. I mentioned Barbarossa as a time frame reference to speaking about the 1941 dated contract guns in the other post. With regard to portions of the 41 dated contract being diverted to the wehrmacht, the evidence is overwhelming. The rifles don't lie. As I previously mentioned, these have turned up as capture pieces in Norway, Russia, and the Balkans. Bergflak, who is located in Norway and an occasional poster on this site, has stated that he has handled at least ten 41 dated contract guns that were surrendered by the Germans in Norway at the end of the war. A few of the Russian captured pieces have ever been rebarrelled by the Germans with 0,2 marks on the replacement barrels. This statement is from the book Armamento do Exército Português Vol. I- Armamento Ligeiro – Pages 142 and 143. ISBN 972-8816-43-X. "The Mauser M941 contract was signed in July, 15, 1941, for the purchase of 50,000 rifles, to be delivered in 10 batches of 5,000. But serial numbering had some problems. The first 4 batches had consecutive numbers, but after the 23.000 rifle- the Germans made an emergency requisition that interrupts the serial number sequence".

                          Jim
                          Originally posted by Gary Cain
                          The problem with that is alllll those rifle with 1937 chamber dates and waffenampts. Why would those get diverted? In Portugal in the museums you can see the 1937 and 1941 dated rifles on display. Why did those make it? So far there has been no evidence that I have seen of these rifles being diverted away from Portugal.. There is plenty to show that the Germans were very careful to meet their obligations to foreign powers however.

                          Gary

                          Comment


                            #14
                            1941 contract

                            Apparently there is at least one example of a Luftwaffe property marked 1941 contract Portuguese Rifle.. BILL

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Is there a picture of it?

                              Gary


                              Originally posted by BILL GRIST
                              Apparently there is at least one example of a Luftwaffe property marked 1941 contract Portuguese Rifle.. BILL
                              YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH RED WINE, TOO MANY BOOKS, OR TOO MUCH AMMUNITION.
                              Rudyard Kipling

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing this Thread

                              Collapse

                              There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                              Working...
                              X