No announcement yet.

Best Machine gun of WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medium MG: MG34 because it just looks better to me with all those machined parts. Plus it is select fire, and especially with todays ammo prices it is a nice feature.
    heavy MG: Browning .50.
    Light MG: M249.

Comment

There is no Type 91, but a Type 96. Sorry to say, so many types of machine guns are missing from this poll that it is rendered spurious. Tactical use of any type of MG is of critical importance as well. There is no single 'best' MG for that simple reason.

Comment

M2 v MG34 etc..

Best machine gun of WW2 comparison... totally different class of weaponry!

No meaningful comparison can be made by weapons meant for very different uses.

Within their classes my opinion though..

M2 - Best HEAVY machine gun of the war.

MG34/42 - Best LIGHT / MEDIUM (man portable) machine gun.

Comment

>Reference the MG 42, many of you have suggested the modern day M60 is based on it, where as in fact, it has it's origins in the FG42 paratrooper rifle. <

And in turn, the FG had its origins in the design of the bolt/oprod of Lewis LMG......

Bob Naess

Comment

Originally posted by HJ-Marseille View Post
            A lot of NATO-forces and Allied forces (plus their enemies) still uses the "MG 42"- and its "heritage versions" still today.
            No other M-G. ever had such a success worldwide and for so long.
            +1

Still in use today by many worldwide armies,Spain has his version in 7,62 and Switzerland in the swiss caliber 7.5 x 55. I am sure we will see the MG 42 in other conflicts for many years. I call it "the perfect machine"

Comment

MG42 for me. I'd love to actually get a chance to shoot one one day.
              There's hope with a scope!

Comment

Use: MG42

Design: MG 34,Solothurn MG 30 and

ZK 423 :-)

http://www.vhu.cz/exhibit/maly-kulomet-zk-423/

Comment

The best MG is the MAG 58 Real Belgian quality and way better than the M240 copy version.

This MG is used by a lot of military US (M240), UK, Canada, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Israel... More than 200.000 units produced and in use with over 90 countries.

Comment

>Default MG-42 and its heritage
                    A lot of NATO-forces and Allied forces (plus their enemies) still uses the "MG 42"- and its "heritage versions" still today.
                    No other M-G. ever had such a success worldwide and for so long.<

Sorry, the MG42 is a youngster compared to the Browning LMG and HMG designs. Both the .30 and .50 BMG rounds and the guns that fire them are far older than the MG42 and still used worldwide by numerous armed forces of all types. Not to mention the numerous variatiions, calibers and uses of the BMGs and the many countries that produced them for their own forces. The MG42 is no competition for the BMGs......
                    Currently an owner and shooter of various .30 and .50 Brownings as well as a number of WWII MG42s and a post-war MG42/58. Love ‘em all!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X