Goering Pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goering Pistol

Hey guys what do you think? I know zero about guns but the seller said this was Herman Goering's and wants $15,000.
    Attached Files
    Private Facebook Group: Wehrmacht Awards Buy/Sell/Trade & Discussion
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wehr...ardsMilitaria/

Would need major provenance to prove this ever belonged to Herman.

Comment

Exactly, I wouldn’t touch it without a trail of provenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Looking for items related to:
      Pionier RKT’s
      Pionier Uniforms
      Named/Researched Pionier items

Always looking for items from:
      Pionier-Battalion 662
      Pionier-Battalion 38
      2. Panzer Division

Comment

Looks pretty plain to have belonged to Goering. Needs provenance or it is just a story for a huge price.

Comment

Gorings Walther
          https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-30-000.html

Comment

Gorings Walther
            https://www.morphyauctions.com/james...aissance-plat/

Comment

There are published photos of HG's surrender and the pistol he handed over was a US .38 Special. Can't recall if it was a Colt or S&W but the latter is probably correct.

Comment

Goering's surrender pistol, a S&W 4" M&P model, is on display at the USMA. There is also a photo of him walking with his pal Adolf and armed with a holstered revolver with lanyard loop, probably the same S&W. He supposedly purchased the pistol from a Hamburg gun dealer before the war. Doubt that it's a repro. Considering the historical significance of the pistol at the time, having it remain in the hands of a junior officer isn't very likely. The Walther is certainly a fine example but without HG's accompanying Waffenschein, there'll always be an element of doubt.
                Last edited by oldcorps; 02-08-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

About $14,750 too high. Looks like someone's truck gun before it was crudely engraved. Pistol is worn, but engraving is not. Not the quality that Herman Goring would have worn.

Comment

When US troops captured the Walther factory, there were high grade engraved custom pistols reserved for presentations on hand. I've seen a couple of these that were brought back by GIs on display at shows and these were not for sale. The PPK in question is engraved in a manner consistent with these examples.

Considering HG's considerable girth, if he'd worn a holstered pistol as diminutive as a PPK it would have looked ridiculous. That's probably why he wore the S&W.

Comment

Engraving

Originally posted by Johnny Peppers View Post
                      About $14,750 too high. Looks like someone's truck gun before it was crudely engraved. Pistol is worn, but engraving is not. Not the quality that Herman Goring would have worn.
                      I concur. The engraving looks to be new.

Oldcorps:
                      When US troops captured the Walther factory, there were high grade engraved custom pistols reserved for presentations on hand. I've seen a couple of these that were brought back by GIs on display at shows and these were not for sale. The PPK in question is engraved in a manner consistent with these examples.
                      Are there any pictures or links to pictures people could share of this for some comparison?
                      I would expect the GI captured to have better quality engraving than the OP's
                      Looking for Soviet orders and medals for my collection.

Comment

Images of comparable Walther engraving shouldn't be difficult to find. Jim Julia has been around the trade for a long time.

Comment

Just reminded that Julia sold out so he's no longer a factor. This particular pistol has been sold several times at high prices so I doubt that there's a problem with the engraving. Some claim that it didn't come from HG personally but instead, belonged to someone in his entourage. Judging by the finish wear it's had considerably handling.

Comment

No Nazi High Party Leader ever carried that rag. Here are some photos of Nazi era engraved pistols, and high quality fakes of these pistols exist.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAs&uact=5

Comment

I think I'd tell the auction house if I were you, they like to know these things. They'll probably be indebted for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X