GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unidentified "Heer" Sword

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Unidentified "Heer" Sword

    Heloo Collectors !

    I have a big problem with "Heer" sword identification and unfortunately, without the help of more experienced collectors, I will not be able to cope.

    Please let me know if you have encountered such a pattern so far, and if so, who produced it. Unfortunately, this model is not in the Angola book. The lion head is factory ruby ​​free.
    Or maybe this is a copy?

    Thank you for all the information.



    Attached Files

    #2
    I can't say for certain, but in my opinion looks like it maybe a Weyersberg. See what others have to say.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Reichsword View Post
      I can't say for certain, but in my opinion looks like it maybe a Weyersberg. See what others have to say.
      Are you writing it on the basis of some literature in which this example is presented? Or maybe you've already seen such an example with your own eyes.
      The two Weysberg examples in Angolia differ significantly from this pattern.

      And has anyone ever met the "lion's head" in the sabers with factory ruby ​​free? As far as I know, most of it was decorated with trinkets.

      Comment


        #4
        Some of the details tell me, that this is copy and not made before May 1945

        Ostmaerker

        Comment


          #5
          I have never seen a high quality reproduction of a common standard Heer sword and been collecting since the late 70’s. I’ve only seen high quality reproductions of SS, Police, navy and Luftwaffe swords. I’m not saying they don’t exist but if they do, that’s news to me.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Madagaskar View Post

            Are you writing it on the basis of some literature in which this example is presented? Or maybe you've already seen such an example with your own eyes.
            The two Weysberg examples in Angolia differ significantly from this pattern.

            And has anyone ever met the "lion's head" in the sabers with factory ruby ​​free? As far as I know, most of it was decorated with trinkets.
            Having collected Heer swords for over 40 years and owned and handled hundreds of them, I, based my opinion on several points. the type of gilting is similar to several Weyersberg's I've owned, and on the reverse langet. Which also appears similar to other Weysberg product. I personaly have never seen a original P. Weyersberg catalouge, though they are said to exist. I do know that there are a lot more swords out there than what shown in Angolia's book. And also that many of the blade producers made lion head swords with out glass eyes, Weyersberg being one of them. As I said earlier, this just my opinion.
            Regards,

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by fredswiss View Post
              I have never seen a high quality reproduction of a common standard Heer sword ...
              Me too, sometimes I wonder why in a world where everything of any value is copied, good-quality copies of land-based sabers are extremely rare on the market. But this is a discussion for another moment.

              Originally posted by Reichsword View Post
              Having collected Heer swords for over 40 years and owned and handled hundreds of them, I, based my opinion on several points. the type of gilting is similar to several Weyersberg's I've owned, and on the reverse langet. Which also appears similar to other Weysberg product.(...)
              Unfortunately, I am a beginner swords collector, therefore my literature is still poor. All the more thanks for wanting to share your experience. If you have no doubts about it, I classify it as an unattributed Weysberg product, which was added to my collection. Please give your opinion on the screw that connects the lion's head to the guard (last photo).

              Regards, Radek



              Comment


                #8
                Interesting sword.
                I have never seen the screw in the lion's chin, nor this model.
                Is the hilt made of alloy or aluminum? It looks like a very late (wartime) heer sword?

                I agree with the above: so far, I never encountered a quality copy of a 3R lionhead sword.
                It is probably not cost effective to fabricate them at their current market value, making those one of the "safest" items to collect!.

                Best regards,

                Victorman

                Comment


                  #9
                  IMO looks like F.W. Holler Solingen product. These company love to use screws to fix sabre handle. (Example like screws between handle and P guard.)

                  Schlange

                  My collection:

                  https://zbiralci.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21196

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Victorman View Post
                    Interesting sword.
                    Is the hilt made of alloy or aluminum? It looks like a very late (wartime) heer sword?
                    Made of alloy, look great and wartime for me. But, there are elements that pause me a bit, that's why this topic.
                    Pay attention to the blemish (a litlle hole in the fabric) on the lion's head, as if a mistake during casting?

                    Thank you for your opinions, I did not write about the signature on the blade. Especially to make sure it's not a compilation. When connecting the blade with the handguard, there is no skin, I was afraid that the blade did not match the handle and it was folded. The first information from #Reichsword calmed me down a bit, because he immediately associated the look of the handle with the manufacturer on the blade. Pictures below.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Madagaskar View Post

                      Pay attention to the blemish (a litlle hole in the fabric) on the lion's head, as if a mistake during casting?
                      During the war years made, Solingen edged weapons show often lower quality. The reason is obvious: many skillful workers were called to become soldiers and the usual, quality products were no longer available, but reserved for the war effort. In 1942 the complete production of dress weapons was stopped for this reason.

                      No worries about this casting flaw, the "ersatz" products had their limits...

                      Best regards,

                      Victorman

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Reichsword View Post
                        I can't say for certain, but in my opinion looks like it maybe a Weyersberg. See what others have to say.
                        When Reichsword speaks...I listen.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Original period saber IMO, the 1935 edict restricting copper (the primary base metal for brass and nickel silver) took effect slowly and unevenly depending on the maker. Of course that did not affect as much items made specifically for the military itself, versus the civilian and/or private purchase sector that saw the change to other materials most probably before Wehrmacht forces were actively engaged in combat. Which as was stated affected Solingen production drastically, with early 1942 seeing a very sharp decline in the finished quality of items made for the Wehrmacht. FP
                          Last edited by Frogprince; 08-03-2020, 12:54 PM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thank you very much for all professional opinions. So the saber ends up in my "treasure box"

                            Evaluation of one inconspicuous saber and so much additional and valuable information.

                            Comment

                            Users Viewing this Thread

                            Collapse

                            There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                            Working...
                            X