Enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enigma

Can somebody tell me whether the enigma is civil or military?
    Attached Files

It looks like a G31 Abwehr Enigma:
    http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enigma/g/index.htm

It is difficult to see on your pictures if it has the sloping lamp panel of the G.

In any case a nice find of a very rare variant. You may want to contact the guys at the cryptomuseum to confirm the exact type of the machine.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Seems like G, there's lever visible just above the empty wheel's position.

Comment

Thank You for information but it is for civil market.
        Best regards

Comment

Photos
          Attached Files

Comment

Photo
            Attached Files

Comment

Civilian

The military version had a plug board to make it almost impossible in breaking the code. The civilian models did not have a plug board in the front like yours. The military version also did not have a tag with the patent numbers. It looks like for the railroad, but I am not sure. Here is the Cryptomuseum web site for you to compare: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enigma/

Comment

Futher review

Looking at it closer, I stand corrected. It is as mentioned by Funksammler, an enigma G31 variation or Abwehr as mentioned above. Look at the cryptomuseum web site for further info. I would assume you have a rare machine but I don't have the slightest idea what the value is.
                Last edited by Tony Mickelson; 08-29-2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Looking at the new photo's, it is in fact a Ch.15b model of the G31, with printer socket on the side. It is similar to this one: http://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/e...g111/index.htm

Reading the website these machines were delivered to various clients, with surviving machines indicating that the Ch.15a model (without the printer socket) was certainly in use by the Abwehr.

Although this example appears to be civil it is incrediably rare (perhaps only the second Ch.15b example known, next to G111). Unfortunately it is in bad condition and incomplete which will obviously depress the value, but I am sure it will still create an interest amongst Enigma collectors and researchers.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Apparently most machines of this type were delivered to Hungary. BigMickey, do you have any information where this machine was found? Does the Hungarian link make any sense?

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Hello , I bought enigma from Czech Republic , but it is possible that it comes from Hungary.
                      I am only interested in military enigma , and all that I have had by now was in 100% military.
                      Asking wheter it is civil I want to be sure.
                      I may regret selling it , but the only comfort for me is that it went to Bletchley Park.
                      Best Regards
                      Bartosz

Comment

Originally posted by BigMickey View Post
                        Hello , I bought enigma from Czech Republic , but it is possible that it comes from Hungary.
                        I am only interested in military enigma , and all that I have had by now was in 100% military.
                        Asking wheter it is civil I want to be sure.
                        I may regret selling it , but the only comfort for me is that it went to Bletchley Park.
                        Best Regards
                        Bartosz
                        Check this out: The enigma you bought and then sold to Bletchley Park has now been restored. https://totalmk.co.uk/whats-on/rare-...-milton-keynes

I went to Bletchley last year and asked about it as I couldn't find it on display. I was told by the curator that the abwehr enigma was being restored. They seem to have done a pretty good job of it.

Comment

Hi
                          I am very glad that the item was restored. Now I will have more motivation to get to see it .
                          Best regards
                          Bartosz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                          X