You are a true inspiration Jon,

Looking forward to the update,

Mats

Comment

Mat, you are very kind sir.

Jon

Comment

Evening All,

It looks like the forum update is taking longer than planned so I thought I might as well update things, even if it means having to do it all again some time in the dark future.

Six road wheels finished and now I have to wait for more polyurethane.

On the 16th of May we pushed the hull outside to give the track guards a coat of under coat and to put the upper hull in place so that I could start to construct the engine deck.

My marketing idea, the new Panzer ll sports model.
        Attached Files

Comment

Someone asked me how I had made the turret ring, well this was my solution. A series of bearings spaced around the turret ring circumference, eight vertical and eight horizontal bearings trapped between an upper and lower flange, so that the turret can't come off. When I described what I had manufactured, I was told that it was the same as on an American Stuart light tank but as I have never seen a Stuarts turret ring, I can't comment.
          Attached Files

Comment

Obviously, as that was on the 16th there's more to come but I have got to have my tea first.

Comment

Hello again,

This update may take a few posts but bear with me.

The upper hull has had it's attachment flanges added and the whole structure has been bolted to the lower hull.
              I have manufactured and welded the track guard brackets to the upper hull, so now the tract guards are secure.
              Attached Files

Comment

Most of the rear engine deck has been completed but it needs removing to finish welding the inside edges. The cover on the left covers the radiator and air exhaust tract.

I have had to add a hole that wasn't on the original in order to access the fan belt tensioner. The large access panel below that, gives access to the fan and the fan belt tensioner locking nut.
                Attached Files

Comment

This cover also houses the radio operators escape hatch, which itself is part of the cooling system and contains a fresh air inlet for the radiator. The cover seemed to take ages, as I had to work out what the hinges looked like and how they worked, so that they gave clearances for opening. The radio operators means of escape is very tight, as you can see.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The cover to the right covers the engine bay. I was worried about access to the engine but although tight, everything seems fairly accessible.

In the righthand side of this cover there are air vents that allow the fan to draw air over the engine. The air is the drawn through the fan and exhausted out of the rear of this same cover.

And there endeth the lesson for today.

Jon
                    Attached Files

Comment

And a great lesson this is

Comment

Thanks for the update Jon, the beast is coming along very nicely mate

Lou
                        My Collection: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=860720

Comment

This is amazing. The research necessary to reproduce every part in such detail boggles my mind. I have to wonder what you are going to do with all your free time once this is complete.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to post images of your project, it is amazing what you have achieved.

Regards Mark

Comment

Originally posted by usmedalman View Post
                              This is amazing. The research necessary to reproduce every part in such detail boggles my mind. I have to wonder what you are going to do with all your free time once this is complete.
                              Sometimes it can be amazingly frustrating and takes hours of research. A good example would be the open/closing handle for the operators hatch. The first picture is the best of two pictures that I could find of this hatch in the open position. If you look closely you can make out a black smudge which I assumed was the open/close handle. I look for hours for evidence that my assumption was correct and better pictures of said handle, without any success. Then after a small snifter of some mind freeing juice, I noticed, on a picture from the Tank Museum, the handle that I had been searching for. As usual nothing like the picture that I had concocted in my mind. As I said very frustrating but very rewarding in the end.

Thanks for all the comments and views, the dream is coming alive, slowly.

Jon
                              Attached Files

Comment

that is now a quick process how it goes, very very nice and well done as usually
                                -----
                                search: BMW R12 parts
                                search: everything from Fliegerhorst Illesheim
                                search: everything from Kavallerie Reg. 17 Bamberg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X