X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• me6_130
    replied
    Hellooooo!

I've being digging out my stuff thanks to the lockdown I'm posting photos of the blue box in post #56 (top row, left)

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...0&postcount=56

Seems it's a very early one, as distribution if different and also looks re-issued (at the right in pic of two blue boxes). The state of the box makes me think it was in a burned vehicle, then repainted, refitted and reissued. The fittings for the spanners are wrong...and one side would have 2 small fittings while the other would get 2 big ones...SSOOOO one spanner will not fit. See it has no metal ring for the round oiler, but a wooden block. I tried to fit an early square oiler...but no! Soo round early oiler it got (Stamped Madler and dated 1939). There is no wooden block with round hole either (for booster cone?).

Carles
    Attached Files
    Last edited by me6_130; 05-17-2020, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    Hello,

No, I don't know the modern RAL number for the ordnance blue (blaugrau/ panzer grey)

Carles

Leave a comment:

• RTY
    replied
    Hello, Carles.

Do you know, what is RAL code (or any other code in modern color system) for "blue" paint used in MG werkzeug boxes?

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    Originally posted by RTY View Post
    Why there are no "MG Werkzeug" on the cover?
    Hello,

That one in post #32 seemed to be factory defective, badly mounted. Seems it had been completed with all internals but the wooden fittings for the MG13 spanners were wrongly placed. I can just imagine it didn't pass an inspection, so it didn't get an OK, the "MG Werzeug" wasn't stenciled and, instead, it got a red dot indicating it was defective. I'm sure it would have been easy to fix that but, for some reason, they didn't.

I have another early on, in which the fittings for the spanners are also wrong but, in this case, seems it was canibalised from some vehicle, refurbished and reissued, so didn't get a factory inspection and got back to a tank. See it in post #56 and #57. There are 2 small fittings in one side and 2 big ones in the other...so 1 spanner would be too loose and the other wouldn't even fit!!!

Carles
    Last edited by me6_130; 09-29-2019, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RTY
    replied
    Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
    Well...a new one. Bought it recently from another member. A rare early ordenance blue (panzer grey/ blau grau) MG-Werkzeug box. As most of those around, it is incomplete due to possible reuse post war. It still has about a 95% of it's original paint and very light rust in some spots.

Carles
    Why there are no "MG Werkzeug" on the cover?

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    Please say, what is the size in mm?
    5.5mm aprox

Really plywood? I supposed it should be the beech board as all another wooden parts of the box?
    Yes, it is beech wood in three slices, making plywood

Please can you show the photos or sketch on this?

see the pics, the axel is 6mm wide/diameter.

Carles
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RTY
    replied
    Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
    The wooden parts are about as thick as the MG13 spanners
    Please say, what is the size in mm?

in plywood
    Really plywood? I supposed it should be the beech board as all another wooden parts of the box?

Under the strap there is a metal rod stamped to the cover on one side and to the strap on the other.
    Please can you show the photos or sketch on this?

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    The wooden parts are about as thick as the MG13 spanners, in plywood. Under the strap there is a metal rod stamped to the cover on one side and to the strap on the other. If you need a set of parts for a box I can produce them according to the right specs. As you can see in the thread, I have produced parts and restored about 20 MG Werkzeug boxes, from Russia to the USA, for private collectors to museums and associations that restore German panzer vehicles.

Carles

Leave a comment:

• RTY
    replied
    Let me ask 2 more questions.

1. What is the thickness of the wooden parts of the box' cover? Is it the same as MG wrench or not?
    2. What is the construction under the steel strip? I suppose there should be the wooden part with thickness the same as another wooden parts have. But what is it's shape and size?

Thank you for any help.

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    That would basically the reason. Ground gunners, when cleaning their weapons, would usually gather and do the work in a group, with their assistants also. They would have or combine their cleaning sets. A tank could be stationed apart from other tanks and cleanig would have to be done alone, so not always a chance of combining tools with other tank gunners. I believe each tanks also had an E box with spares...but the soaker can would be empty, without a replacement flashhider, according to manual, so an extra cone was available in the MG Werkzeug box.

Carles
    Attached Files
    Last edited by me6_130; 09-20-2019, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• timg
    replied
    Originally posted by Satcong101 View Post
    What I'll never understand why the need for two spanners in the lid section, totally unnecessary to me!
    In short, I would suggest carbon build up.

Front end is three componants, flash hider booster chamber, booster cone, gas port assy. Both front and rear have the same size flats.

Ground gunner can quickly change out the complete assy with one spanner using the spare set in the soaker can. He is also not usually completely alone and can share ground gunners set with another gunner.

Afv is more likely to operate the gun for a prolonged period of time and have a greater build up of carbon on the front end. Try getting those apart with one spanner. Afv in the field can also be very spread apart for tactical anti air reasons so why not give the guys an extra spanner at very small cost.

Just my thoughts but I have very little doubt that it was 2 spanners for good reason.

Regards

Tim

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    I imagine the stencil would be made of a metal sheet. They would just put the little metal roundel where it should make the O and remove it later. You can see in some boxes that the roundel moved a bit and the central part is not too centered.

Carles

Leave a comment:

• Satcong101
    replied
    When I do stencilling I leave a little paper bridge to hold the centre of the letter in place then when I remove the stencil I'll hand paint the gap left over to complete the letter in full.

Leave a comment:

• me6_130
    replied
    Oh! You have to cut a little piece and place it in the centre.

Hope it helps,

Carles

Leave a comment:

• RTY
    replied
    I'm sorry, my English is poor so I suppose you hadn't understand me properly.

Im asking not about the letters size but about the method of the painting. I am working on the stencil for the box to write "MG Werkzeug".
    The problem is "e" and "g" letters. How to paint them without the breaking of the closed loop in these letters?

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X