Help to ID this Marder III part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to ID this Marder III part

Does anyone know what was stored in this container ?

171029004.SjDgc4uS.marderseat.jpg

Look like ammunition grills. 7.5cm rounds?

Carles
    looking for a Kar 98k bolt in working condition numbered 2020, please let me know if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
      Look like ammunition grills. 7.5cm rounds?

Carles
      No, I don't think that this is a Marder 3 with the A/T 75mm gun. Look at the rows behind it, this one was fitted with a howitzer. Besides this rack is far to small for a 75mm round

Comment

'Mike' - Do you mean the container on the floor or the ones on the left of the picture ?

Kind regards,
        Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by Recymech View Post
          'Mike' - Do you mean the container on the floor or the ones on the left of the picture ?

Kind regards,
          Pete.

I was focusing on the box to the left rather than the rack in the lower fighting compartment. I have no idea what either rack was used for though !

I think that the vehicle is a Grille rather than a Marder 3
          Last edited by kefru177; 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GfZH06hgP4

Comment

Ah it is marder 3, at the bottom of the hull is extra ammo stowage

Comment

I'm sorry I don't really know but just some ideas:

- Hand grenades?
                - Smoke pots?
                - Extra fuzes?

Carles
                looking for a Kar 98k bolt in working condition numbered 2020, please let me know if you have one.

Comment

Beer holder.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - Yes the one on the left, and yes this is the Saumur Marder III. It holds 20 of something but I have never seen anyone say what or it mentioned anywhere.
                    I have seen this container on the late version but not the early version. I thought extra fuses also.
                    I like the idea of a beer holder.
                    Still a mystery.

Comment

You can never have enough 'Beer Holders'

Something that we did was to try and find as many places on our Recovery Vehicles where you could open a Beer Bottle.

I'm sure that someone out there will know exactly what items were stowed in this container.

Kind regards,
                      Pete.

Comment

Flares ?

Comment

Originally posted by rhys1 View Post
                          Flares ?
                          Nop, I don't think so. Flares are smaller and had a specific kind of box.

Carles

Comment

I’ve just checked my MBI and Nuts and Bolts books on the Ausf H and there is no reference to that box at all. It could be from an Ausf M

Comment

It’s definitely the M variant. It also appears that this Marder (at the Saumer museum) is a command vehicle. In the video linked above you can see radio racks on the loader’s side of the fighting compartment.

I have no clue what the box in question is. It has been bugging me since you asked. IF it were for flares, then they would have to be in the bakelite cases to fit. But looking at the lowest part of this box, it looks too shallow even for these. I don’t think that’s it.

We know there is a flare box nearby, to the left of the gun mount on the platform (beyond the gunners seat in these pics and above the fire extinguisher). It has 12-15 holes fitted for flares. Unless I’m totally wrong about that.

I also have never seen this box open or the contents listed. Now I want to know!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X