Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Wound Badge marked 30 Hauptmunzampt Wein

Hi Fellas,
    Been offered this GWB by Hauptmunzampt Wein marked 30 though to me it looks like a silver grade badge in zinc.I actually think the gold colour looks believable on this example but being Zinc the finish usually gets mostly absorbed,any way your thoughts would be appreciated
    Bob
    Attached Files
    looking for Hannah Mckay to take care of my dark passenger.....

Hi Bob,

Its an original, however I don't like the finish. Certainly looks gold on my screen, but it is higher quality than what we typically see on this type of later war HMZ badge (looks like a high quality gold plating rather than the correct later-war brennlack or wash finishes used at the time). For that reason I would not want it.

Tom
    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little......

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
      Hi Bob,

Its an original, however I don't like the finish. Certainly looks gold on my screen, but it is higher quality than what we typically see on this type of later war HMZ badge (looks like a high quality gold plating rather than the correct later-war brennlack or wash finishes used at the time). For that reason I would not want it.

Tom
      Cheers Tom.The finish is way to good for a Zincer which was my main concern, apart from that someone ruined a good badge unless of course that finish can be removed.
      best
      Bob

Comment

badge itself must be good but I am also bit worried about the finish. Looks odd.
        Always interested in medal bars with EK2 from ww2! Please, offer!
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        Iron crosses, dog tags, solo EK2 documents and medal bars collector.

Comment

Hi guys,

Yes the finish looks odd

Here is my badge for compare, this was more or less in mint condition when I got it about 25 years ago
          but have lost some finish over the years

Cheers,
          Ronny
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yubari View Post
            badge itself must be good but I am also bit worried about the finish. Looks odd.

It apparently came out of a house clearance in Germany but i can't get my around the finish that is clearly on a zinc badge. I've never seen a gold grade zinc WB with a finish that good....

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny.R View Post
              Hi guys,

Yes the finish looks odd

Here is my badge for compare, this was more or less in mint condition when I got it about 25 years ago
              but have lost some finish over the years

Cheers,
              Ronny
              Thanks for the post Ronny and pics,looking at the one i posted i'm just wondering whether the zinc had a light copper coat applied to the zinc, obviously the finish would adhere better to the copper than just the zinc.
              Thanks guys for the comments
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ENGLISH BOB View Post

It apparently came out of a house clearance in Germany but i can't get my around the finish that is clearly on a zinc badge. I've never seen a gold grade zinc WB with a finish that good....
                Maybe it is an effect of the camera?
                Always interested in medal bars with EK2 from ww2! Please, offer!
                ------------------------------------------------------------
                Iron crosses, dog tags, solo EK2 documents and medal bars collector.

Comment

Originally posted by Yubari View Post

Maybe it is an effect of the camera?
                  No its gold in hand

Comment

Had that gold wound badge in hand today and i must say i like it alot, looks like a copper coat with gold wash finish. Some more pics of it and a Silver grade S&L and Black grade Carl wild that are offered with it..
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was hoping for more comments regarding this GWB overnight, personally now i've seen & held it in hand i like it a lot
                      Bob

Comment

Hi Bob, with the additional photos i see no problem with it. Typical zinker with fading finish IMO
                        Regards
                        Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
                        I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the new pics, however I still don't like the finish. Just too high quality and modern looking for such a late war badge. The fading and wear on it also doesn't look natural to me.

What you see on Ronny is exactly what I would expected to see, a decent quality finish, but with fading and normal oxidation bubbling due to its later-war production methods. Sit yours next to Ronny's and the difference is dramatic.

Tom
                          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little......

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                          Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hans N View Post
                            Hi Bob, with the additional photos i see no problem with it. Typical zinker with fading finish IMO
                            Thanks Hans
                            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                              Hi Bob,

Thanks for the new pics, however I still don't like the finish. Just too high quality and modern looking for such a late war badge. The fading and wear on it also doesn't look natural to me.

What you see on Ronny is exactly what I would expected to see, a decent quality finish, but with fading and normal oxidation bubbling due to its later-war production methods. Sit yours next to Ronny's and the difference is dramatic.

Tom
                              Hi Tom,
                              A quick question for you if this zinc badge has had a copper coat applied would that not impede any bubbling?, as it would act as an airtight jacket surely You can clearly see to the reverse with what could be described as a copper type coating. Who's to say they didn't do a copper dipped Zinc limited run at the Vienna mint, to try and help keep the quality control standards up with what was available to them,once exhausted after that just gold finish to zinc as per Ronny's just my thoughts..
                              Best
                              Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X