X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS stick pin Otto Gahr

Hi,
    Here is my SS stick pin Otto Gahr # 306
    Does anyone have some information about the conditions for the attribution of this elusive stick pin ?

IMG_6316.jpg IMG_6318.jpg

Those SS members desiring to purchase an SS-ZA pin, had the option of ordering a more costly pin from Gahr than the cheaper Hoffstatter pin.
    Collecting is a continuing education!
    Premium
    paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Comment

It was mentioned in some other thread that these were replacements for lost Hoffstatter pins, but I’m not sure if that was the case. The documentation available on these pins appears to be rather thin. I have seen them with 4 and 5 digit issue numbers, but yours is the first I’ve seen with 3 digits. The late John Pepera had several that were dispersed after his passing.

Comment

I am sure that at the beginning, only Gahr was the producer of the pins and that the production was afterwards transferred to Hoffstätter. The lowest numbers which I saw until yet, were on the Gahr ones (not including the Hoffstätter fakes !).

Comment

Thanks guys for your answers. Is anyone able to link SS Zivilabzeichen #306 to a name ?

Comment

Originally posted by schoenwurf View Post
            Thanks guys for your answers. Is anyone able to link SS Zivilabzeichen #306 to a name ?
            The number is written down in a certain SS list but I forgot how it's named: "DAL" list of something like that? I was able to link one of my Hoffstätters to SS man Fritz Wohlers.

Very nice Gahr by the way.

Regards, Wim
            Freedom is not for Free

Comment

ZA numbers were found on the first page of the SS officer’s file, in the center columns listing party awards, and on the officer’s Stammkarte.

According to regulations of 15.1.1936, lost Hoffstatter pins could nor be replaced. Only Gahr pins were available.

In correspondence with John grom 1998, he had three Gahr ZA pins. #s 7391, 7676 and 11872. All numbers were hand engraved. Each had different rear markings: Gahr Munchen Silber 900; Gahr Munchen 900; Gahr Munchen. Diameter 14mm to 14.5mm. Weights 2.3 gns to 2.8gms. 7391 was in a case. He also had Hoffstatter 163747.

I had done quite a bit of research on the pin for a Bender article but never pulled the trigger. Now Roger is gone. Dozens and dozens of officer names and numbers.

The Gahr book has info but used modern sources quite a bit.
              Premium

Comment

Thanks Joe for all this information
                If I may make a correction one of John's Gahr Zivilabzeichen was 1616 (and not 7676). Just a confusion between the German "1" and the American "7" ...

SS Otto Gahr #1616 (John Pepera).jpg

Comment

Thank you for the correction. I couldnt find the pictures he sent me. I was only working with his letters. Yes,we corresponded with written/typed letters then, rather than cheesy email which was so often lost. But a letter is there with letterhead and signature to remind one of a friend. I wonder when or if he ever realized it was 1616?
                  Premium

Comment

Yes in a previous post in 2007 Pieter Verbruggen told John it was actually #1616

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...d-by-otto-gahr

Comment

Then perhaps 7391 is 1391? But it would be difficult to confuse the 7 with a correct 1? What about 11872? Perhaps he only made the mistake on 1616?
                      Premium

Comment

There was no confusion for Gahr #7391 and #11872

SS Otto Gahr #7391 c.jpg SS Otto Gahr #11872 (John Pepera).jpg

Comment

Are you sure that the 11872 is an original Gahr ? It is not really like the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinhard2 View Post
                            Are you sure that the 11872 is an original Gahr ? It is not really like the others.
                            The engraving style resembles pin #1616, and seems to be consistent with a 900 silver metallic content. It was noted in another thread that jeweler identity and silver content variations have been observed on the back plates. Could this be due to different technicians filling these orders over the years?
                            Last edited by Bill G.; 11-25-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

All the time, Gahr used SILBER and 900 which is not on the 11872 !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X