No announcement yet.

Entrance Badges For the 1938 Reichsparteitag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is really an interesting thread, thanks Ron for starting it.

I am amazed that we are realizing the meaning of the copper colored badges so long after they were worn.

I think the documentation stating the Nurnberg residents wore a copper colored RPT badge is pretty compelling. I would imagine that other RPT years were the same, as Br James surmises; that was my first reaction - finally, we know!

Reinhard’s and Inspector K’s translations seem to indicate that Nurnberg residents wore red/brown copper colored RPT badges as well and back this idea.

But what are we to make of the ‘special’ badge being worn for the ‘first time this year,’ and given a coat of copper colored paint? Could that also just mean finish on the badge? Do they refer to the same badge, or two different ones?

It’s time like these that I wish I had more knowledge of the German language. Anyway, a great subject!

Comment

Thank you Reinhard2, for the "human" translation provided!
      Best,
      G.

Comment

Of great interest would be a depiction of the Plakette so we could be sure that the article is referencing the tinnies being discussed. I would not think the tinnies under discussion would be described as such but rather as Abzeichen. Plakette is a term usually reserved for something much larger such as the table medals of the 1938 RPT of the same design. Additionally, if painted, one has to wonder the tinnies only have the color on top and bottom with a lighter color sandwiched in between. They appear not to be painted but more seem to have had a "skin" applied to the surface with the edge still showing the light colored center. As we don't have any other Plakette we currently identify as belonging to the 1938 RPT other than the Table medals, I still wonder if this article refers to the tinnie which started this thread? It seems highly unusual that honored foreign dignitaries would be presented with something that might cause people to mistake them as residents of the city available for questions.

Would you be able to post the German article in fraktur to this thread? It would be interesting to see it.
        Richard V
        Der größte Feind der Menschheit wohl
        Ist sicherlich der Alkohol
        Doch in der Bibel steht geschrieben
        Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!

Comment

Possibly the piece Richard Klein is working on is actually 1:1 scale for the local Nürnbergers.
          I wonder if the 'red brown' finish is the coppery color. 'Farbüberzug' could mean a coat of paint or a plated layer.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
            Possibly the piece Richard Klein is working on is actually 1:1 scale for the local Nürnbergers.
            I wonder if the 'red brown' finish is the coppery color. 'Farbüberzug' could mean a coat of paint or a plated layer.
            Erich
            I am sure that they meant the coppery color. Don't forget that this German is a little bit ancient. But we have at least the proof that only some from 1938 were coppered.

Comment

I think so as well--especially looking at some examples here that are appear to be metallic red-brown.
              Erich
              Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Of great interest would be a depiction of the Plakette so we could be sure that the article is referencing the tinnies being discussed. I would not think the tinnies under discussion would be described as such but rather as Abzeichen. Plakette is a term usually reserved for something much larger such as the table medals of the 1938 RPT of the same design. Additionally, if painted, one has to wonder the tinnies only have the color on top and bottom with a lighter color sandwiched in between. They appear not to be painted but more seem to have had a "skin" applied to the surface with the edge still showing the light colored center. As we don't have any other Plakette we currently identify as belonging to the 1938 RPT other than the Table medals, I still wonder if this article refers to the tinnie which started this thread? It seems highly unusual that honored foreign dignitaries would be presented with something that might cause people to mistake them as residents of the city available for questions.

Would you be able to post the German article in fraktur to this thread? It would be interesting to see it.
                Richard V
                The period notice from the Uniform-Markt is in Fraktur. The article dated 2010, is of course in a modern font.

I will respect Lautenschläger's copyright, and not reprint his work. The thrust of the article is indeed about the cupal badge currently being discussed here. It is illustrated on the cover of the magazine, as well in the body of the article. The vast majority of the article is NOT about this particular badge, but an abbreviated history of the party rallies, a little on Prof. Klein and his design, the structures on the grounds, illustrated with various and sundry other souvenirs, kitsch, and postcards along with some conventional '38 party day badges.

The supposition that the copper badge is "für Ortskündige" as far as I can see is solely based on the Uniform-Markt clipping, and "other" party literature/flyers (not shown or referenced further). A work on day and event badges by Reinhard Tieste dated 1991 is listed as a reference at the end of the article, along with the clipping previously mentioned.

All that being said, I am not convinced that these copper badges are for the local Nazis to help lost (or perhaps drunk) Nazis find their way around. Perhaps they are for foreign dignitaries. I don't know what they are for, but like anything else - until documentation surfaces, everything is supposition.
                It appears to me that they certainly would have been more expensive to produce than the conventional zinc tinnies produced for the event.

Comment

Thanks very much for the information. Actually I was mostly interested in seeing the original notice from the Uniform-Markt upon which the quote is based or an image of the statements in the 1936 "Weiser" rather than the 2010 article which bases its conclusion on the notice. The originasl would not have a copyright any longer with the amount of time that has passed. I am assuming the 2010 article had an image of the notice upon which the article was based?
                  Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    Thanks very much for the information. Actually I was mostly interested in seeing the original notice from the Uniform-Markt upon which the quote is based or an image of the statements in the 1936 "Weiser" rather than the 2010 article which bases its conclusion on the notice. The originasl would not have a copyright any longer with the amount of time that has passed. I am assuming the 2010 article had an image of the notice upon which the article was based?
                    Richard V
                    Richard,
                    I agree with you regarding the Uniform-Markt notice copyright, and, I had planned on posting it with my last post....but obviously I did not! . Here it is for you.
                    Regards,
                    G.
                    Fraktur.jpg

Comment

A version of the 1939 badge was produced in Cupal too, which from the mentioned article I thought were special badges for Ortskundige as well. The beat up one is included because the damaged edge really shows the Cupal "sandwich." Notice the difference in reverse designs.

Greg
                      Attached Files
                      sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                      www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Also now wondering on the difference in finish colors in 1935 badges. Almost all I've seen are the gold colored finish, but here's a silver finish one... ?
                        Attached Files
                        sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                        www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Thanks very much for posting the actual article. Though I have never really seen anything else which would qualify as the Plakette mentioned in the article, I still do not think it is in reference to the Tinnie which started this article as this would have been referred to as a Abzeichen. Plakette would normally not be used for something this small and I've never heard of any tinnie size item referred to as a Plakette. It is unfortunate the article does not provide any picture of the Plakette to which it refers. Again this is more a reflection of the provenance of the tinnie I have obtained from the Argentinian Ambassador to Germany who had this tinnie in his possession as an honored guest. It seems highly unlikely a diplomat would be given the same item to wear as what would lead visitors from outside the city to possibly accost him for local information thinking he was a resident. It would be interesting to see if others have this badge and obtained it with some provenance on whom it was that had owned it.
                          Richard V

Comment

Richard, you can believe what you want. Honour guests normally got a cased party day / meeting badge in real silver or a table medal.

Comment

Perhaps the Argentinian ambassador received the copper colored badge or acquired it as a memento of the event. Possession does not automatically indicate the fact that he wore it. Did you consider looking in the 1938 RPT blue book to see if his image was included? Would be interesting if it was.
                              Premium paid for Walther Model 8 #727649 and Walther PP #975557

Comment

have we established what year these"Nuremberg Residence" badges would have initially been instituted?
                                looking for tan Ordensburgen cufftitles, (Sonthofen, Vogelsang, Krössinsee)

and the tan "Stellv.d.Führers Reichslager" cufftitle... please notify me!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X