Tradition badge of the SA Hannover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradition badge of the SA Hannover

This is an award which is seen in several text books but, as far as I know, has never been discussed on this forum.

It was awarded on 26/27 January 1935 to old comrades who had been members of the Sturmabteilung of the NSDAP Hannover during the years 1921-23.

Has anyone else got one of these or the Urkunde?

Stan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stan; 10-12-2020, 03:06 PM.

I don't believe I've seen this badge before. Interesting...produced without any maker's marks or other authorization... I look forward to what our other colleagues can provide here.

Br. James

Comment

Every guy like me from Lower Saxony ought to have this badge and the Gau honor badge, :-)

Comment

Stan,
        thanks for posting this. I’ve never seen it, let alone seen it discussed! It has a nice curvature to the wreath and looks like high quality. Is it silver?
        Wow!

Comment

Hi John,

The badge appears to be nickel-plated tombak. I bought it at an auction house in Germany in 2004 together with several other very nice pieces from a German private collection. I was surprised at the high price I had to pay and never realised how rare they were.

Huesken has a photo of the "Ausweis" on p426 of his 1999 price book.

Stan

Comment

can't say I've ever seen this one either, very interesting!

William Kramer
            To view my museum and shop: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Stan
              Thanks for the information on what is indeed a lovely and very rare badge.
              And thanks for the reference to the Huesken guide so we can have a look at the ‘Ausweis!’.

Comment

Reinhard, are you sure you don’t have this one? I’m surprised!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Volksturmer View Post
                    Reinhard, are you sure you don’t have this one? I’m surprised!
                    Yes John, Reinhard has one as do most serious Gau badge collectors.

Let me know if you can't find the "Ausweis" shown in Huesken's book. I emailed a scan to another collector yesterday.

Collectors may be surprised that the document is called an "Ausweis" as an Ausweis to most people means an ID card or passport.

However it really means "documentary proof".

The Ausweis for this SA Traditions badge states:

THE HOLDER OF THIS AUSWEIS, COMRADE FERDINAND THIES, HANNOVER, HELENENSTR. 18
                    HAS BELONGED TO THE OLD STURM-ABTEILUNG OF (OG) OF THE NSDAP HANNOVER SINCE THE YEARS 1921-23
                    AND IS HEREBY GIVEN THE RIGHT TO WEAR THE BADGE OF THE OLD COMRADES OF THIS STURM-ABTEILUNG, WHICH WAS PRESENTED ON 26./27.1.1935 IN HANNOVER.

HANNOVER, 21. MARCH 1935.

Maybe Reinhard can tell us what "OG" means as I have no idea.

Stan

Comment

I'll have to check, but I think it's Obergruppe.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Erich is right.

Comment

Stan,

thank you for the offer, yes I’d love to see a copy of the Ausweis for this very interesting award. These are the kind of wonderful badges that become really fascinating when you learn about them for the first time.

Thank you also for the translation and for clarifying that the word Ausweis can be used in ways other than an ID book. I’m sure I’m not the only collector who didn’t know that - I hope.

Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Ausweis in the Huesken guide is from Reinhard’s collection! Almost everything else is

John

Comment

Really a nice and quite rare badge that's hardly ever seen. I have never found one and to have the Ausweis with it--super!
                            Erich
                            Festina lente!

Comment

"This is an award which is seen in several text books but, as far as I know, has never been discussed on this forum."

Hi Stan,

May we please know your references in the statement above -- which textbooks have shown and/or described this rare and unique award?

It is quite interesting that there have been "several" references to this piece, and that holds my attention. Was this award mentioned in any formal NSDAP publications as being recognized as a 'SA-Traditions Ehrenzeichen' or an Honor Badge of any SA-Gruppen? Hannover was the HQ city of SA-Gruppen Niedersachsen, but that "SA Group" classification may not have been operative at such early dates as 1921-23.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X