X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is zoll general that i found going thru old files. ZOLL GENERAL PB.jpg

Comment

If you notice the border photos of the NS Zeit German Zollschutz and Danzig you should notice what the Free City of Danzig Zollschutz folks are wearing. Prior to Danzig being reabsorbed into the Reich this Danziger Zollschtz Amt marked sidearm was worn by the Free City Zollschutz.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
        If you notice the border photos of the NS Zeit German Zollschutz and Danzig you should notice what the Free City of Danzig Zollschutz folks are wearing. Prior to Danzig being reabsorbed into the Reich this Danziger Zollschtz Amt marked sidearm was worn by the Free City Zollschutz.

SCHUPO,

Thank you for posting your beautiful short sword. LZA, I thought meant the leather supply depot, and in this case from Danzig. I have a holster with such markings. How does one know that this is a Customs Seitengewehre?
        Looking for all things Polizei/Zoll

Comment

There are photos of these sidearms in wear by Danzig Free City Zollschutz standing next to German Zollschutz prior to annexation. Johnson mentions them in his books but did not know what they were. Here are some markings for the Danzig Zollschutz and for the Danzig Schutzpolizei.

Attached Files

Comment

There are photos of these sidearms in wear by Danzig Free City Zollschutz standing next to German Zollschutz prior to annexation. Johnson mentions them in his books but did not know what they were. Here are some markings for the Danzig Zollschutz and for the Danzig Schutzpolizei.
            Yes, I have a SchupoDz marked pistol myself. I guess what I’m fuzzy on is the LZA marking. Landzollamt? If that’s the case, all these years I had an LZA marked holster....it was Customs! That’s good news because I have the Zoll marked Dreyse 1907 that goes with it. I will have to research LZA a bit more and update myself. As we all know, as time passes new information often comes to light.

Comment

I found the holster that I mentioned above and I was incorrect in stating it was LZA marked. I had remembered it incorrectly. It is simply marked J. Danzig twice with no apparent date stamp....even under the upper left corner of the flap as many are dated from this period. Here are a few pics. Perhaps someone knows more about it....
              Attached Files

Comment

And these...
                Attached Files

Comment

I have never seen your Eagle / "J. Danzig." marking before. It almost looks like a holster maker marking rather than a property marking? Of course the German Customs firearms are property marked, "R.F.V." which makes identification more simple. It is certainly an interesting holster though.

Moving back to the edged wepon theme, here is a Wasserzoll (Water Customs) Officer sword. It is an Eickhorn Patent Sabel shown in their catalog as "Sabel fur Wasserzoll Nr.1759". This was a patented design by Eickhorn and is specific to this maker. While the sword itself looks much like several others in their line of lion hilt P guard Army swords it has distinct differences, the most obvious being the black leather scabbard. This sword is quite scarce since Water Customs was a fairly small unit of the larger Zollschutz organization controlled by the German Finance Ministry (RFV). German Water Customs specifically operated on waterways and in ports and was therefore a small organization making this sword seldom seen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have never seen your Eagle / "J. Danzig." marking before. It almost looks like a holster maker marking rather than a property marking? Of course the German Customs firearms are property marked, "R.F.V." which makes identification more simple. It is certainly an interesting holster though.

Moving back to the edged wepon theme, here is a Wasserzoll (Water Customs) Officer sword. It is an Eickhorn Patent Sabel shown in their catalog as "Sabel fur Wasserzoll Nr.1759". This was a patented design by Eickhorn and is specific to this maker. While the sword itself looks much like several others in their line of lion hilt P guard Army swords it has distinct differences, the most obvious being the black leather scabbard. This sword is quite scarce since Water Customs was a fairly small unit of the larger Zollschutz organization controlled by the German Finance Ministry (RFV). German Water Customs specifically operated on waterways and in ports and was therefore a small organization making this sword seldom seen.
                    Very nice sword with great detail. Quite the find! Is the Trödel original to the sword? If you are holding out Schupo, do show more of your Zoll edged weapons..

Comment

Originally posted by Kripo73 View Post

Very nice sword with great detail. Quite the find! Is the Trödel original to the sword? If you are holding out Schupo, do show more of your Zoll edged weapons..
                      OK. This Zollschutz Portepee did not come with the sword but I had an extra one so I put it on. Some sources state the proper Portepee for the Wasserzoll sword was the standard gold Naval sword/dagger Portepee and some that the aluminum colored threads (as on this style Portepee) were gold. I doubt the former and have never seen a Portepee made with gold and green threads in the Zoll manner. Basically, the more green threads in the knot, the lower the grade and the more aluminum threads the higher the pay grade. Just like the chin strap cords on the peaked caps. Anyway, I believe this is the proper Zollschutz Portepee for this sword. It most certainly is a Zollschutz sword knot.

So, here is a rather poor photo of a Zollschutz S84/98 with "R.F.V." property markings and a proper Zollschutz Faustriemen, These bayonets were secured from Army stores, just like the Heer belts and buckles, and were then property marked by Customs. Notice the Faustriemen has no stem like the Portepee and has green/alum or green/white stripes in the ball. Since this ball has green stripes in pairs it indicates a lower rank (pay grade) Customs fellow.

Just trying to show a few things that have not been shown before on your excellent thread.

I hope this is helpful.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                      X