Is this cross is original ?
    Thank you for your help
    Attached Files
    "Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Two more pictures
    Attached Files
    "Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Comment

In think the probabilities favor originanality for one reason.

The cross is the 1934-37 version without the swastika, and there would be little market for this second pattern DRK, when the real repro money is in the third pattern with the swas.

Plus the quality is there.

Comment

I would look closely at this thread that covers post-war S&L hardware.

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...nd-terminology

S&L produced quality badges for years after the war and is a reason why many collect them. I’m not saying for sure the one starting this thread is post-war, but I would look for more pre-war examples and get more info before I bought the one pictured here at a pre-war price.

Robert

Comment

hello
          with this type pin i am not fan on this medal, just my opinion!
          best regards
          patrick

Comment

If it is post-war S&L, which I suspect it is (early 60’s era), it’s likely a replacement for someone who lost their 34 issue and they could wear it along with any other 57er awards. These are quite collectible and great fillers, just at a significant discount compared to an original issue. I’d buy it in a heartbeat at the appropriate price.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert J.D. View Post
              If it is post-war S&L, which I suspect it is (early 60’s era), it’s likely a replacement for someone who lost their 34 issue and they could wear it along with any other 57er awards. These are quite collectible and great fillers, just at a significant discount compared to an original issue. I’d buy it in a heartbeat at the appropriate price.

Robert
              You posed an interesting question, that S&L made these as post war replacements.

From a business standpoint, this would be an expensive proposition.

The work involved to create new dies for what in its own time was a medal rarely granted, and would have a tiny demand, would make no business sense, a losing proposition, and red ink for S&L.

Too small a market to justify reproducing these. As I said, the real money would be to reproduce the third pattern 1937-39, with a swastika in its talons, not the second pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post

You posed an interesting question, that S&L made these as post war replacements.

From a business standpoint, this would be an expensive proposition.

The work involved to create new dies for what in its own time was a medal rarely granted, and would have a tiny demand, would make no business sense, a losing proposition, and red ink for S&L.

Too small a market to justify reproducing these. As I said, the real money would be to reproduce the third pattern 1937-39, with a swastika in its talons, not the second pattern.
                You make a good point I hadn’t considered. Perhaps they acquired the dies from another manufacturer to make the offering in their catalog? I’m only going on my limited experience with postwar S&L hardware, which this appears to be, in my humble opinion.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
                  and there would be little market for this second pattern DRK,
                  Don't know about that, there is a big collectors market for Red Cross items of any period. Post war pin in my opinion too.
                  Pete

Comment

post war s and l

Comment

here is an original
                      only made by Godet always marked on pin, vaulted
                      Attached Files

Comment

As Pete and others have said, It’s a post war S&L.

Stan

Comment

here is the front of the original
                          Attached Files

Comment

^Beautiful award. Thanks for sharing this original!

Comment

I stand corrected, thanks for posting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X