4 Unissued Feldgendarmerie Gorgets By Assmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phippsaw View Post
    Mate sorry but the pictures won't upload as they are too big. I can email them to you if you like?..just need a mail address....
    With phippsaw permission I am posting photos of his Assmann gorget for comparison of my four.

As you can see his cardboard backing is the same and does not have the pressed fold like other makers.

If anyone else has an Assmann gorget please post for comparison.

Gorget Assmann (5).jpeg Gorget Assmann (4).jpeg
    Gorget Assmann (3).jpeg
    Gorget Assmann (2).jpeg

Attached Files
    “it is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” General George S. Patton

Comment

After doing a little research on the WAF and was contacted by several members confirming these Assmann Gorgets are original.

Assmann Gorgets have these characteristics:
      • Typical buttons
      • Typical eagle and position on the plate
      • White underneath the yellow paint
      • Gray paint coating and not silver
      • The A on the tang

P8110028a.jpg

“it is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” General George S. Patton

Comment

Repro marking verses an original

Assmann Marking Fake.jpg
        P8110059 (2).JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Rheinmetall View Post

There are certainly may topics where it can be difficult to find information but this gorget is not one of them. Had you taken any effort to first perform some basic research toward finding the details of this maker? Or do you feel others should be obliged to do the homework for you? There are a number of original examples that are easily found by way of the search function on this forum.

Stive has shown a very nice image of original cardboard backing, now compare that to what you have presented. I will say however that the frontal images of your gorgets show some convincing details now that i am viewing it on a larger monitor today. But as far as I'm concerned if one detail is off then the entire piece becomes questionable.
          Hello Rheinmetall,

You are correct I did not research this forum, which I should have done in the first place. I only searched the internet and that is why I posted them with much certainty that they were original and not fakes. Several members on the WAF informed me that I should do a search for "Assmann gorget". So from doing a basic search I have concluded that these 4 gorgets are original. I was not trying to have someone do "the homework" for me, but have other members who would have an Assmann gorget or know about gorgets agree/confirm they are original. Like one member told me I should not post things on the WAF because of members just saying "It's fake" or "I don't like it" with no explanation why it is fake? It is like a kiss of death even though it is 100% original. The problem is I resell a lot of the items that I find, so it is nice to learn why they are original or fake.

By the way the one photo that Stive provided with the cardboard backing is not an Assmann gorget.

So in conclusion I knew pretty much nothing about FG gorgets, but ended up learning a lot more about them by posting these 4 gorgets and doing research. Many thanks to the members with your help and knowledge!

Comment

Hello horsetrainer,

I felt your initial response to my post came across as demanding with the expectation that others answer what you had not bothered to research for yourself. However, your expanded response here now would have been a more appropriate manner to address your initial questions. And as I had pointed out, the frontal details were convincing but the reverse cardboard looked off (which was the same concern mirrored by others). I'm glad your ultimate conclusion is positive. That being said, there are no hard feelings on my end ---- we're all here to enjoy our shared hobby!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
            X