Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for EK2 citation of the 1. Pz Div

Hello,

I need some help to determinate the unit of this soldier.
    It's signed by general Walter Krüger (RK + OL), leader of the 1. panzerdivision.

Afetr some researches, the only idea I have is the kradschützen bataillon 5 (of the 5. panzerdivision) which fights in the same area, so perhaps the unit was under another command for a few time?
    I can't find any kavallerie regiment 5 still operational at this time.

If you have better idea, I'm all aware!

Greg.
    Attached Files

Kradschutzen Bataillon 55 I guess, now need to see if this unit was subordinated to the 1 Panzer Division in the first half of 1.942.

Cheers

Angel
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Yes, "K." is the abbreviation for Kradschuetzen.

Comment

Hi Angel,

Thank you for your contribution. I obviously wanted to talk about kradschützen bataillon 55, I forgot one "5". Both 1st and 5th panzer divisions are fighting closely from each other before and after the awarding (based on what I found on the lexikon der wehrmacht).
        No proof yet, but that's the most possible at this time.

Greg.

Comment

This could be an explanation.

Sometimes units were put under command of other divisions.

Also small units fighting under command of divisions will receive medals from their commanders, look here one from a Werfer unit awarded also by the 1 Panzer Division.

Angel
          Attached Files
          Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Perfect example you have here!

Greg.

Comment

Hello !

I agree, with the contributions by Angel and pauke, that it is a doc to a soldier of Kradschützen-Btl. 55 and that this
              unit was temporarily subordinated to elements of 1. Pz.Div. (for which case Angel showes a very nice example).

The problem is the following (all info according to an article on 5. Pz.Div. by Veit Scherzer) :
              Already in Dec. 41/Jan. 42, the 5. Pz.Div. had been splitted, to support different divisions. On 20.Jan. 1942,
              the different parts were ordered to assemble NW of Gshatsk. But due to the critical situation, several KGr. were formed
              and sent to totally different areas. The 5. Pz.Div. started to gather their units and reorganize itself in March, but some
              of their units returned as late as May (which seems to be the case here !).
              The divisional history of 1. Pz.Div. mentions support of units of 5. Pz.Div. a few times, but not of K 55.
              However, from the reading I would not wonder, if the battalion itself was dispersed among different battlegeroups.

So there is no direct proof, but I think that it is likely, that this soldier fought with 1. Pz.Div. in those winter battles of 1942.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hi Archi,

Thank you for informations you provide. The citation is one more proof that everything is not known now

Greg.

Comment

Does anyone know where to find the vehicle this soldier served with?
                  I know that in kradschützen bataillon, each company had different vehicle, but I can't find who had what.

Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorg View Post
                    Does anyone know where to find the vehicle this soldier served with?
                    I know that in kradschützen bataillon, each company had different vehicle, but I can't find who had what.

Greg.
                    Typically a motorcycle combination if I understand your question.

Comment

I found the traditionnal organisation of a kradschützen bataillon: 1st, 2nd and 3rd are motocycle companies, 4th is a MG motorcycle company, and 5th is the heavy company (with PAK,...).
                      Thanks for helping!

Greg.

Comment

Hello !

Here is a nice visual example of such a Kradschützen-Kompanie :
                        http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn11111feb41.htm

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Thank you very much, very usefull!!

Greg.

Comment

interesting information gathered here. Thank you guys!
                            Always interested in medal bars with EK2 from ww2! Please, offer!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------
                            Iron crosses, dog tags, solo EK2 documents and medal bars collector.

Comment

Family picture with my other EK2 award citation from another kradschützen bataillon (the 30th).
                              Less easy to find than those attributed to infantry men!

Greg.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X