X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudolf Hess PIc at Rally

wish I knew when and where this was

wish

The when might be easier than the where. Very nice photo btw.

Comment

Next to Hess is Gauleiter Fritz Sauckel

Comment

I can tell you maybe what is going on.

Judging by the dress of others (top-hat, and overalls) and what is in the picture (large slab of stone) I would suggest it is the 'cornerstone laying ceremony' of some building (the gau brown house?).

Not really a 'Rally'.

As deputy fuhrer Hess did alot of these.

Comment

Thanks. All

Comment

I agree with alexzouv that the person standing next to Hess appears to be Gauleiter Fritz Sauckel, and I also agree with byterock's assessment that the event depicted appears to be "the 'cornerstone laying ceremony' of some building (the gau brown house?)," and if those assumptions are correct, then here is one possibility as to the "when, where and why" of this photo: Fritz Sauckel was the Gauleiter of Thüringen and the seat of that Gau was the city of Weimar. From the PL and SA uniform styles present in this photo, it was probably taken between about 1934 and 1939. Each of the Gaue of the NSDAP were intended to construct an NSDAP headquarters building or complex for regional administration, and Gau Thüringen began that construction on May 1, 1937 in Weimar. This was to be "Gauforum Weimar" and much of that complex was completed and still exists today. Googling "Gauforum Weimar" will take you to the story of this complex, with some very nice photos, and the text includes the following: "In May 1937, Rudolf Hess, in the presence of Gauleiter Fritz Sauckel, laid the foundation stone for the "Halle der Volksgemeinschaft" and renamed the square "Platz Adolf Hitler". Around 40,000 people from all over Germany took part in the staged mass event." And from related internet articles on this subject, this overall construction project was intended to resemble the Königsplatz in Munich, where the Füherbau, the Party Administration Building and the Temples of Honor were the first portion of the large construction procject intended for that location. And I believe that this event in Weimar took place on May 1st of that year, which would have been the local centerpiece of the national Labor Day observation throughout Germany.

I hope this bit of research is helpful, stpd602. Indeed you have a fine artifact of that huge occasion. Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

The person in profile in the left foreground of this photo appears to me to be Reichsminister and Reichsleiter Richard Walter Darré.

Br. James

Comment

Behind Sauckel is Walter Ortlepp in black uniform. Darré is not in the picture.
                Michal

Comment

Very good catch, Michel; do you have an ID for the person in the left foreground?

Br. James

Comment

With many thanks to my friend John/"Volksturmer" for correcting my error here, the name I meant to give to the person in the left front of this photo was KURT DALUEGE, not Walter Darré!

Submitted with apologies all 'round,

Br. James

Comment

Great job, everyone who put this puzzle together. Br. James, don’t thank me, I just accidentally nudged your fantastic memory. You did a masterful job identifying what is going on in this photo! Just Incredible!
                      Stpd602, I hope you realize that the historical value of this photo just went up a whole lot! You have some very famous personalities here!
                      Congratulations!
                      John

Comment

Here is another shot of the same event, confirmed as Weimar 1937 as Br. James suggested.
                        Taken from 'Reichsminister Rudolf Hess' published by Arndt and highly recommended.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cool post, Wessel! It’s really neat to be able to see this angle of the event.
                          I guess it confirms everything everyone said! Thanks for sharing this!

John

Comment

thank you for sharing!
                            Always interested in medal bars with EK2 from ww2! Please, offer!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------
                            Iron crosses, dog tags, solo EK2 documents and medal bars collector.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X