Iron Crosses awards ceremonies !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luft 76 View Post
    Yes, last one is very impressive. Not sure it should have been possible in french army !
    Can hardly imagine something like that in the french army. It was at that time a world between soldiers and officers, it would have been considered as direspectful... It was later very different in Indochina.
    Looking for all Items related to 4.Pz.Div., Kriegsschule POTSDAM, Schule KRAMPNITZ, just drop me a PM !!

Comment

The last one for today, just decorated in front of a captured Renault R35 french camo tank.
      Attached Files
      Looking for all Items related to 4.Pz.Div., Kriegsschule POTSDAM, Schule KRAMPNITZ, just drop me a PM !!

Comment

Hello !

Many, many fantastic and somehow unique photos shown here !
        Excellent idea for a thread and already many great contributions !

Regarding tentative identifications :
        - #16 : dated 10.9.44 in Tschernigow with General Schmidt :
        I found only one Tschernigow/Cernihiw, ~60km NNW of Kiew. But this was captured ~21.9.1943.
        Could the date be wrong or is it a completely different location ?!

- #29 : This is indeed very unique !
        I cannot believe, that the behaviour of the soldiers is caused by beeing disrespectful to an Officer,
        simply denying to greet or pay attention to him. This is 1941 not 1944/45 (and it is IR 9, one of the regiments
        with great tradition !) !

My explanation would be a very quick "in a hurry visit" by an higher officer, surprising everyone, and the Officer
        had previously announced : "Weitermachen ... " (=don't let me disturb your doings).
        As usually, some soldiers would just continue what they did, others still pay attention, as most of those men on the left !
        But this is just my two cents, would be nice to hear other oppinions. This is in deed a very special one !
        (Off topic (sorry):
        Somehow, the soldier closest to the camera, with bare body and braces reminded me to Gerd Froebe/Oberst von Holstein in the movie :
        Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. That whole scene might fit as well. Maybe an alternative explanation ?! )

To be serious again and the circumstances : If this is indeed IR 9, it had had 10 days of hard combat closing the Bialystok cauldron.
        On the 30.6.41 it was withdrawn from the frontline and got some rest, somewhere near Krynki, about 40km West of Bialystok.
        Perhaps the 1.7.41 was the first day in ~2 weeks, with some time to rest, wash and redress ?!

It would be interesting if someone could make a guess, who awarded the EKs. The regimental Commander of IR 9
        should have been Oberst Adolf Raegener (later Gen.Lt. and RK + EL).

Excellent thread, many thanks !

Archi

Comment

This picture is already known but always makes me dreaming .....
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Do you have ?

Artillery Hauptmann Waffenrock (with trousers) from 109 Art. Rgt - made by R.Schafranek, WIEN

Comment

Tks Marcin.... NIce pic for sure, but my first intention was to avoid KC ceremonies here (I also have a bunch), but rather presenting unknown EK.2, E.K.1 and Widerholungspangen ceremonies.... in all possible places and configuration. We may start another Thread with KC ceremonies, but those here who have rare ones will probabaly not easlily accept to share them, and this thematic has probably been probably documented before on the Forum, must search....

Comment

None mistake can be made here without being discovered by our Friend Archi ..... I indeed made a mistake with the date, not 10.09.44 but 10.09.42...... That brillantly confirms your location of this place in Russia
              Attached Files

Comment

Archi is a great searcher for sure
                sigpic

Do you have ?

Artillery Hauptmann Waffenrock (with trousers) from 109 Art. Rgt - made by R.Schafranek, WIEN

Comment

Concerning the I.R.9 Photo, Archi, I completely share your point of view, just commenting the words of Luft 76, such a scene would have hardly been possible in the french army... The fact that this short ceremony was completely improvised and that the officer probably told the men to continue their activities is for sure the explanation. Your question concerning the officer made me curious too....I especially like the I.R.9, often nicknamed "Graf I.R.9" due to the high number of soldiers and officers of noble ascent serving there (including Richard von Weissäcker, later Bundespresident from Germany). Here are two pics courtesy extracted from "Das Potsdamer I.R.9", Biblio, W.Paul, 1984. The exact location of the Unit on that very day, and a front Photo from Oberst Raegener.
                  Attached Files

Comment

All searchers needs sometimes to be lucky... Here is a pic published page 157, legended "Oberst Raegener, Kdr I.R.9 mit Adjudant Oblt Kaempfe bei E.K.-Verleihung an der Dessna, August 41". Let's just compare both...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very impresive !!
                      sigpic

Do you have ?

Comment

it is very impressed on the EK2 ceremony with undressed officers around. my first saw !

here are from my collection. but actually i like Army DK ceremony, it is far more rarer than LW's,
                        as army is in the dangerous front field, LW is in the safe base. and LW's DK document is directly given to the winner,
                        Army is giving the preliminary document while the formal document will send in several months.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

looking for SS Hohenstaufen and Frundsberg Documents or Soldbuch !

Comment

In my opinion this is a officer just being awarded the ek1.
                          greetings Rik
                          Attached Files
                          I'm proud to be a sergeant in the royal dutch army

Always looking for documents from the 126. Infanterie-Division.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionel H. View Post
                            None mistake can be made here without being discovered by our Friend Archi ..... I indeed made a mistake with the date, not 10.09.44 but 10.09.42...... That brillantly confirms your location of this place in Russia
                            Well, then the General is Hans Schmidt (Eichenlaubträger, 1877-1948), as I thought from the beginning.

Comment

Hi Lionel,
                              Here is an interesting sequence from NARA.
                              Regards,
                              E.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X