Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermath of Allied Bombing on Hamburg Photo Assistance...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aftermath of Allied Bombing on Hamburg Photo Assistance...

    I recently obtained this Postcard size photo picturing the aftermath of an Allied Bombing on Hamburg. What I’m looking for is the location of this specific building, and if the original building is still standing today or was completely destroyed during the war.

    Note the “C H Meyer” sign / logo on in the background - C.H. Meyer still in existence today in Hamburg (current address listed as Ellerholzweg 1, 21107 Hamburg)

    http://www.genios.de/firmen/firma/CH...klaration.html

    Was my photo also taken at Ellerholzweg 1 or was the building destroyed and C.H. Meyer today has long been at a different location in Hamburg ??? I'm sure a wartime civilian Hamburg telephone book would list the Street Address of C.H. Meyer at the time....

    Any assistance would be appreciated...
    Attached Files

    #2
    Hi,
    the Name at the Corner "EICH"
    maybe it help.
    Best

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by schorschi View Post
      Hi,
      the Name at the Corner "EICH"
      maybe it help.
      Best


      Agreed. Thinking it's "Eichmeyer"
      Always on the lookout for quality WWII U.S. Paratrooper items! tlckkibler@msn.com

      Comment


        #4
        Many Thankx to WAF member "Stormfighter" for the information / link / photo below


        Definitely Hamburg. C.H. (Carl Heinrich) Meyer was a well-known company in Hamburg that sold maritime commodities and fuel. The other company named on the building is Eichmeyer. Eichmeyer was a purveyor of women’s coats, costumes and furs. You should enjoy this photo for comparison:

        https://en.sporvognsrejser.dk/photos...rg-postkort-36

        Incidentally, the exact address of Eichmeyer & Co. was Mönckebergstrasse 15-17 according to the 1943 Hamburg telephone book.
        Attached Files

        Comment


          #5
          Notice the Blaupunkt building on the right … a Bosch owned radio equipment manufacturer, they made all the radio cassettes for Volkwagen/Audis.

          Ian

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
            Notice the Blaupunkt building on the right … a Bosch owned radio equipment manufacturer, they made all the radio cassettes for Volkwagen/Audis.

            Ian

            Comment


              #7
              Here are the current Google Earth views. They have lined the street with trees now so it's difficult to get a clear view. The third view is as if you have your back to the building and you can see the memorial (or whatever it is) that can be seen in the photo from Hundestaffel.
              Attached Files
              Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
                Here are the current Google Earth views. They have lined the street with trees now so it's difficult to get a clear view. The third view is as if you have your back to the building and you can see the memorial (or whatever it is) that can be seen in the photo from Hundestaffel.

                Comment

                Users Viewing this Thread

                Collapse

                There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

                Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                Working...
                X