Kurt Tebbenjohanns - Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt Tebbenjohanns - Help Please

I am seeking information regarding Kurt Tebbenjohanns. He was commander of the WWI mine laying submarine UC-44 and was the boat's sole survivor when she went down near Waterford, Ireland on 04 August, 1917 and sat out thhrest of the war as a "guest" of the Brits. The story is that the British knew the Germans were reading their minewessping codes, so they transmitted a message indicating that the mines off Waterford had been cleared. The UC-44 was ordered into the area to replace the mines, struck a German mine and sank claiming the lives of everyone on board save for Tebbenjohanns. During his WWI career, he was awarded both classes of the EK and would likely have qualified for the 1918 U-boat badge.

His service continued into/resumed during the Third Reich era. He was attached to the Naval High Command and served in a number of positions right up through the end of the war. As late as 1963, he was alive and working as a banker.

I recently purchased a Kriegsmarine officer's visor hat attributed to him and would like to find some additional information and - if possible - photograph(s) of him and or the UC-44.

Thanks in advance!
    Skip

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X