Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oberstlt und Regt. Kdr Pz Gren Rgt 79 / 16. Pz. Div

Hello,

does anyone recognize this signature of the Oberstleutnant u. Regiments Kdr. of the Panzer Grenadier Regiment 79?

Erich
    Attached Files
    ende
    Suche alles über die 357. Infanterie Division sowie Grenadier Regimenter 944, 945 und 946.

Do you have any context around this document? Can you show the entire document?

Appears the commander was actually an Oberst as you can see a line through "leutnant" seeming to indicate he'd been promoted to full Oberst. Around this time the regiment was fighting to relieve the Korsun-Cherkassy Pocket. The regiment fought as Kampfgruppe Hesse in that battle, but that name is definitely not Hesse.
    Todd
    Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von Fürstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Here is the entire group; the award document, Soldbuch-sized photo, letter from his parents asking where their son is, letter from the company Hauptfeldwebel, and then a form Wehrkreisamt accompanying his Wehrpass after he was listed killed in action. Franz was killed in action and now buried at the German Military Cemetery in Cassino (Block 5, Grab 106)

I am thinking this is the signature of Oberst Palm, previously from the 14. Panzer Division.

Attached Files
      ende
      Suche alles über die 357. Infanterie Division sowie Grenadier Regimenter 944, 945 und 946.

Comment

I see Palm but when I verify with my Rangliste 44/45 I don't see his name as Oberstlt. With the comment of TWS, you have too a Palm as Oberst (rank on 01-01-42)
        Search: SB/WP/Photos/Docs Heer Generals ; 290.ID ; 205.ID ; 45.ID

Comment

Thanks to you both.

I also do not see a Palm in that rank in the list of DKiG or RK recipients.

Erich
          ende

Comment

I think Walter Palm is our man. He was given command of Panzer-Grenadier Regiment 79 in very late 1943/beginning of 1944. One source says 15 Jan 1944, but that is close enough to 9 Dec 1943 IMO. The name, rank and unit fit. Just slight deviation on the date, but records weren't perfect.
            Todd
            Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von Fürstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

Oberst Walter Palm

20.01.1897 Berlin
              04.02.1960 in Berlin-Charlottenburg

01.01.1942 Oberst (30)

19.11.1943 Führerreserve Heeresgruppe Süd
              15.01.1944 Kommandeur des Panzergrenadierregiments 79
              02.05.1944 Führerreserve OKH (IV)

xx.xx.xxxx EK II
              xx.xx.xxxx EK I
              xx.xx.xxxx Verwundetenabzeichen in schwarz
              xx.xx.xxxx Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer
              xx.xx.xxxx Dienstauszeichnung 2.-4. Klasse
              26.06.1940 Spange zum EK 2. Klasse
              07.07.1940 Spange zum EK 1. Klasse
              01.09.1942 Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern

Comment

Great Jaime,

Thank you for this additional information!

Erich
                ende

Comment

Originally posted by erichcraciun View Post
                  Great Jaime,

Thank you for this additional information!

Erich
                  Yep. Looks like he cut and pasted from one of the sources I consulted.
                  Todd

Comment

Thanks to you both!
                    ende

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X