Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who sent this card to Max Sachsenheimer Oakleaves/Swords

Hello:

As a collector of Willrich cards I bought this card years ago. I have never figured out who sent it because I can't read the signature. I have never been very good at researching but with all the great resources offered on the Internet these days I thought I would give it a try but still have run into a roadblock and some confusion.

The card congratulates Sachsenheimer on the award of the German Cross in gold. The date on the card is Feb. 24 and is signed and then stamped Oberst u. Kdr. (Colonel and commander).

Some confusion as to when he was awarded the German Cross...

First, German Wikipedia says Sachsenheimer got the German Cross in gold on Feb. 3, 1943Lexicon der Wehrmacht gives the date as Feb. 3, 1944

Am 3. Februar 1944 wurde er mit dem Deutsches Kreuz in Gold ausgezeichnet

On the card you can see someone tried to maybe add the year but it's not very clear what it's supposed to be. Possibly added after the card was written by the same person using a different pen. Doesn't make sense that it is just faded since nothing else is faded. If I did not know what the year was supposed to be I would have guessed it says 43. Obviously the Feb. 24 date is not an issue as the sender could have found out about the confirmation later and might also have been a bit busy to send it.

The closest I can figure the commander to be at that time is Oberst Jost (no idea of first name) but the signature does not look as if it says Jost. Of course it does not necessarily have to be his commander but a friend in another unit but it would make sense if it was his commander.

Lexicon der Wehrmacht indicates he was sent to hospital back in Germany in the winter of 1942

Im Winter 1942 erkrankte er schwer, so dass er in die Heimat verlegt wurde

German Wikipedia is even more specific and says he was sent to Germany in October 1942 until February 1943 and says he was in Freiburg

Von Oktober 1942 bis Februar 1943 folgte ein Krankenhausaufenthalt in Freiburg

The card is addressed to him as Major of Jaeger Rgt. 75 in a Lazarrett in Ulm a.D. (Ulm an der Donau). Certainly possible he initially was in Freiburg and then was moved to Ulm.

So overall I think the card is genuine but I can't figure out who has sent it to him. Kind of strange that various a couple of different inks are used and also pencil but I'm assuming maybe a clerk addressed it and maybe even wrote it and then the commander signed it.

Thanks
    Curt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Curt Steinbach; 10-18-2020, 03:35 AM.

I think the card is legit, unfortunately can't help deciphering the signature.

Comment

I would suggest finding the name of the commander of Jaeger Regt. 75.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
        I would suggest finding the name of the commander of Jaeger Regt. 75.
        Thanks, I do realize that and I had written "The closest I can figure the commander to be at that time is Oberst Jost (no idea of first name)"

From Axis History forum

0.06.1942 - 12.08.1942 Führer des Jäger-Regiments 75
        Oberst Jost hatte in Vertretung von GM Allmendinger die Führung der 8. JD übernommen, Sachsenheimer wird Regimentsführer. Dann übernimmt Oberstleutnant Freiherr von Mühlen das Regiment und Sachsenheimer kehrt zu seinem Bataillon zurück.

Curt

Comment

It might be Freiherr v. Muehlen if he was promoted and from the address Sachsenheimer is back with the battalion per what is listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
            It might be Freiherr v. Muehlen if he was promoted and from the address Sachsenheimer is back with the battalion per what is listed above.
            Hello Pauke:

I suppose it might be and that as acting commander he signed even though he was not yet Oberst. With a stretch it might be his signature. If one were to take the February 1943 awarding of the German Cross in combination with the fact the he was promoted to Oberst shortly after the card was sent (see below) it could well be him. Later awarded Oakleaves and promoted to Generalleutnant.

Lexicon der Wehrmacht

April 1942 zum Oberstleutnant befördert, führte er ab dem 6. August 1942 das Jäger-Regiment 75. Im Oktober 1942 zeichnete er sich im Raum Demjansk persönlich aus, so daß ihm am 6. November 1942 das Ritterkreuz verliehen wurde. Am 1. März 1943 zum Oberst befördert, wurde er am gleichen Tag Kommandeur des Jäger-Regiments 75.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...MuehlenKFv.htm

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_A...on_M%C3%BChlen

Maybe I'll try the paper forum to see if anyone has seen his signature before.

Thanks again
            Curt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
            X