Very nice! Really not easy to find maker

Comment

Thanks a lot !

Regards
        Robin

Comment

Beautiful worn Assmann PO.

Seb
          The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
          Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
          [email protected]

Comment

Nice badge that racked up some missions.

Alan

Comment

Maybe its the photos but I'm just not digging it. Colour of the gilding looks weird and wear too compared to others. The details are not very crisp in either the eagle or wreath and look cast?

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=assmann+p%2FO

Rich
              Last edited by Rich G; 08-29-2019, 09:25 AM.
              Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
              Decorations of Germany

Comment

I think everything is fine with this badge, as the other members said before ..

Comment

Originally posted by Rich G View Post
                  Maybe its the photos but I'm just not digging it. Colour of the gilding looks weird and wear too compared to others. The details are not very crisp in either the eagle or wreath and look cast?

Rich

I had the same feeling as Rich when I saw this one. I think the badge itself is original, but the finish looks very weird to me. Why such a rough texture of the finish on the reverse? And the color of the gold looks muted, not like correct fire gilding.

Tom
                  If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                  [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  Available Now - [email protected]

Comment

The grainy is normal for Assmann PO, something you don't see on pilot for some reason. Here 2 grainy also one with a similar faded finish. I would hand inspect it for sure...

Seb
                    Attached Files
                    The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
                    Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien T View Post
                      The grainy is normal for Assmann PO, something you don't see on pilot for some reason. Here 2 grainy also one with a similar faded finish. I would hand inspect it for sure...

Seb
                      Seb

Not sure about that observation. More than not the finish is smooth on Assmann P/O. What about the lack of detail on the eagle? All others have super crisp detail even the zinc samples.

I would like to see more detailed photos of the eagle especially looking down on the top of the wings to see if it is highly polished.

Rich
                      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                      Decorations of Germany

Comment

First of all, the pictures provided by the thread starter are just garbage.
                        In determining the originality of doppelabzeichen it is important to provide good quality pictures. People sell and buy valued medals but don't seem to care to invest in good equipment.
                        In my opinion this is an original Assmann pilot/observer. Although the finish is faded on most parts it looks like the typical lemon yellow Assmann finish. No sign of finish over the hinge, rivets, needle. If you look at the soldering of the catch it is clear to see that this badge was finished before the hook was soldered onto the wreath.
                        Because the basemetal of the badge is nicklesilver it might look a bit deceiving.
                        It's possible that this badge received a cleaning, the patina on the bird looks uneven and a bit dull. I think it was darker before.

In my humble opinion, a good pilot observer in very worn condition, possibly cleaned.

Comment

I am agree Rich but like jelle i think picture are bad. I dont want to dismiss it too fast.

Robin please provide high def picture please...

Seb
                          Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
                          [email protected]

Comment

IMO PO at the beginning of the discussion looks worn, but ok.
                            For comparison, this is a late war zinc badge, without any signs of use.
                            Jacek
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some more.
                              There are also some polished edges still there ..
                              Especially on the wreath near the wing.
                              And in the middle of the wreath.
                              Also the eagle is a bit loose....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X