Flugzeugführerabzeichen C.E Juncker Aluminium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flugzeugführerabzeichen C.E Juncker Aluminium

Hi guys, would like to share with you this pilot badge from Juncker in Aluminium. The upper rivet is tightened and the catch is repaired as normally happens with these aluminum early Juncker. As for the pin J1 Juncker badges do have a straight cut pin but this I believe has been sharpened by hand, Best Regards, Juan

subir fotos gratis

subir fotos

subir imagenes

subir imagenes gratis

subir fotos gratis

subir imagenes gratis
    Regards, Juan

Nice badge and I agree that the pin was most probably sharpened by hand.
    I've seen that a few times.

Comment

Nicely repaired catch, but I wonder how the plate is attached, hard to believe it was soldered on the aluminum wreath.., that would be a special technique.

Why would one sharpen a pin, presuming it was blunt first ?
      So it can slide more easy through the loops on the tunic ?
      I fail to see a reason for that.
      Other reasons perhaps ?

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos L C View Post
        Nicely repaired catch, but I wonder how the plate is attached, hard to believe it was soldered on the aluminum wreath.., that would be a special technique.

Why would one sharpen a pin, presuming it was blunt first ?
        So it can slide more easy through the loops on the tunic ?
        I fail to see a reason for that.
        Other reasons perhaps ?

Jos.

A portable toothpick?
        No just kidding. Could be done after the war to pin the badge on a pillow/cushion?
        Some soldier framed here medals after the war.
        We will never know the reason.
        Yes soldering on alu seems unlikely. Maybe glued?

Comment

As someone suggested and I quote "The sharpened pin I can't explain. I haven't found an example of a J1 with one, but there are J3 buntmetal and J4 zinc PO badges by Junker that do have them, and therefore it is possible that this is a variant type not often found, or was possibly sharpened when the catch was fixed, again this is only my opinion","One thing regarding the sharpening of the pin that may be of interest is that I recall reading somewhere that when the pins on Juncker badges were sharpened, it was always done longitudinally where the pin was facing the grinding wheel (like this ^) rather than being ground across the wheel (like this >). "

Looking at the different Juncker paratrooper badges, some early ones do have the same pin sharpening shape as mine, in particular, Type D, E, from Tom s book, it even shows a very nice close up picture of the pin, Regards, Juan
          Last edited by jlga; 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM.
          Regards, Juan

Comment

Very nice j1 alu juan. Very typical to find them with the catch broken.

Seb
            The German Luftwaffe Pilot and Combined Pilot and Observer Badges of WWII 1933-1945
            Volume I & Volume II

sigpic

Now Available
            www.luftwaffepilotbook@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastien T View Post
              Very nice j1 alu juan. Very typical to find them with the catch broken.

Seb
              Thanks Seb, glad you like, Regards, Juan
              Regards, Juan

Comment

Hi Juan,

Very nice, early Juncker in aluminum. Not an easy badge to find and as the others have said, very typical to find them with some repairs, most likely the reason Juncker and other quickly switched back to brass and nickel silver

Tom
                If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Tom for your comments, one of my favourites indeed. As for the sharpened pin, if I may ask, do you think, it could be a variant or it was most likely sharpened. What really gets my attention is the way or sharpening pattern of the pin, which can be seen in juncker para badges, Types D and E, Regards, Juan
                  Regards, Juan

Comment

Hi Juan,

Since almost all of these early badges in general, and especially Aluminum badges like this have non-sharpened pins, I would say that it was most likely done by the recipient and not at the factory. Especially since yours is an example with a repair, it was most certainly a worn example and not one that sat on a shelf all war so that makes me think it was recipient done.

Tom
                    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

image_4497754.jpg image_4497756.jpg image_4497757.jpg image_4497758.jpg image_4497767.jpg Guys, looking at this old thread, realised that the pictures are not there. One of the reasons why no one should upload pictures like I did. Anyway, here they are, hope you guys like it, regards
                      Last edited by jlga; 07-02-2020, 02:42 PM.
                      Regards, Juan

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
                        Hi Juan,

Since almost all of these early badges in general, and especially Aluminum badges like this have non-sharpened pins, I would say that it was most likely done by the recipient and not at the factory. Especially since yours is an example with a repair, it was most certainly a worn example and not one that sat on a shelf all war so that makes me think it was recipient done.

Tom
                        I would like to agree with Thomas. At the same time, also catch is also not what we can expect on Alu wreath. For comparison, my no repair Alu Pilot badge.
                        Jacek
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                        X